January 19, 2018

How do I feel?



Some years ago, I read that the best way to identify your idols is by considering what you think about all day. For me, that was a puzzle. I have a ‘scattered mind’ and could not identify any one thing that held my focus.

However, this has changed. Instead of bouncing all over the place, my thoughts are more like: “Lord, I will do the next thing — just make it clear what that is.”

Every Christian knows that Christ ought to be the center of our lives. As Tozer says in today’s devotional reading, The scriptural way to see things is to set the Lord always before us, put Christ in the center of our vision . . .  The best way to keep the enemy out is to keep Christ in. The sheep need not be terrified by the wolf; they have but to stay close to the shepherd.”

Human effort cannot accomplish this focus, and least I’ve never been able to do it. The Holy Spirit speaks of and continually points to Christ. My task is to clear the path by refusing all the junk that tries to come in, and just looking to the Lord. That has not been easy, except lately. The task has become a narrower choice: think about Jesus or think about how I am feeling.

Yesterday someone called to ask that. Every person I talk to asks that question. While I don’t want to be rude, I don’t want to talk about me or how I am feeling. I’m thankful to be breathing, but my mind does not want to go there. As a normally selfish person, this is odd, but it seems that the Holy Spirit is doing a number regarding where my focus is.

Todays’ Scripture fits. The psalmist is having dreams from the Lord (me too) and because the Lord is his focus, he is not back and forth . . .

I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. (Psalm 16:7–8)

This sense of not being shaken is odd for me. My focus has been scattered, all over the place, easily distracted, but not anymore. I’m still adjusting, but I like it!

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, setting You before me is easier. That is Your doing, yet I recognize an element of obedience. Listening to You in the night helps. Remembering that You are at my right hand helps. Being thankful also, but most of all not letting myself be caught up in that ‘how do you feel’ question except to respond with, “I feel blessed.”

No comments: