January 2, 2018

Do I really believe what I say I believe?



I like what Tozer says in today’s devotional reading: A doctrine has practical value only as far as it is prominent in our thoughts and makes a difference in our lives.”

In years of study, I’m certain of what I believe, but what good does it do me if I am not practicing what I believe? I can say God wants me to be like Jesus in my thoughts, words, and actions — a totally correct doctrinal position, but am I? Some truths are easy, others less so...”

“What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. (Romans 6:1–11)

The operative word in this passage is near the end: “consider” myself dead to sin and alive to God. This is a mathematical term meaning to reckon or calculate, to keep a record of, or bear in mind your conclusions. It is like making a list so that I will do what is on that list. It also means to hold as a conviction, to draw a logical conclusion based on carefully ascertained facts.

The main fact in this section is that in union with Christ, I have died to sin. I am no longer enslaved to it. That means I can never say, “I can’t help it” or “That’s just the way I am” when it comes to sinful habits.

The second major fact is that I am alive to God in Christ Jesus. This is a stupendous thought! I can walk in newness of life. Sin and death no longer have dominion over me. This means there are no excuses.

I shared a story at dinner with friends on Sunday night. It was the healing of a blind man in South America after everyone in his church took turns laying their hands on him and praying. After three hours or so, this man could see. I remarked how many people, even Christians, think such a thing is impossible. One of the men at the table said, “Go back to the beginning. God spoke and the world was created. What is so impossible about Him fixing eyes?”

Jesus, I connect this with what Tozer is talking about. If I say I believe that nothing is impossible with God, then my life ought to show it and my prayers ought to reflect it. I believe, please help (and forgive) my unbelief.


No comments: