December 27, 2017

Why did Christ come?



Most days I read the Bible and God speaks to me, then I record what He said in my words. But sometimes I just need someone to preach to me. Today both happened. First, the devotional is a mini sermon, answering the question in the title: “Why did Christ come?”

One reason Jesus Christ came into the world was to establish righteousness for us as a perfect human being. He restored what we lost in our sin. God requires righteousness from us, but we are guilty: “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Jesus came to live without sin and in perfect obedience to establish righteousness before God for us. He is my representative . . .  

“For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous.” (Romans 5:19)

A second reason Christ came was to redeem his people by dying as our Substitute. He satisfied the wrath of God against sin when God took all our sin and put them on His Son. The law of God is satisfied by this trade: His righteousness for our sin.

“For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” (2 Corinthians 5:21)

Jesus also came to glorify his Father. The unseen God became visible so we can know what He is like and so we can know Him. The love of God is seen in the salvation and sacrifice offered through the life, death, and resurrection of His Son.

“He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.” (Hebrews 1:3)

As I read these things, I am drawn to worship and thanksgiving. But the Lord was not finished speaking to me. The second reference was from Isaiah and again speaks to why Jesus came. Both sets of answers are personal but this one is right now where I am at. My sister is with us for a few days. She has a form of dementia that robs her of remembering words and where she puts things. I am grieving; the person she was is no longer the person she is now. Sometimes I am annoyed and frustrated, but mostly brokenhearted as I watch her in her foggy prison. Jesus came to mend my sorrow, but also to build up and eventually restore her. She is His child and eventually will live in a perfect body with a clear mind.

“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion— to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified. They shall build up the ancient ruins; they shall raise up the former devastations; they shall repair the ruined cities, the devastations of many generations.” (Isaiah 61:1–4)

Because I know all this is true, my sadness is somewhat lifted and I know that as this good word settles into my heart and I contemplate the promises of God with expectation. Perhaps full joy will return, but if not, I know there is a better day ahead.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, “I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.” (Isaiah 61:10) This is true for me, but also true for my dear sister.


No comments: