December 7, 2017

Proclaiming Christ



As a follower of Jesus Christ, a major goal is to glorify Him instead of being one of those people whose sole topic of conversation is me, myself, and I. The Word of God gives me examples, such as the Apostle Paul who said:

“For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake.” (2 Corinthians 4:5)

In parts of his letters to the church at Corinth, Paul did talk about himself, but with great reluctance. His concern for them and for all Christians is that we don’t make too much of our God-given blessings and become conceited thinking that we can do anything apart from Jesus:

“I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?” (1 Corinthians 4:6–7)

God knows our human tendency to worship all the wrong things, especially to exalt people instead of the God who created them, and who gave them the qualities that we admire. Even the Apostle John had a problem with putting his worship in the wrong person. He was given a revelation of Jesus Christ and although he heard the proclamation to worship God, this problem showed up:

“And the twenty-four elders and the four living creatures fell down and worshiped God who was seated on the throne, saying, ‘Amen. Hallelujah!’ And from the throne came a voice saying, ‘Praise our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, small and great.’ Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, ‘Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure’— for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. And the angel said to me, ‘Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.’ And he said to me, ‘These are the true words of God.’ Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, ‘You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God.’ For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” (Revelation 19:4–10)

Jesus gave another example of putting our worship aright when He described to the disciples the work of the Holy Spirit:

“When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.” (John 16:13–15)

I have a friend who used to talk all the time about the Holy Spirit. She made much of His work and the necessity to depend on Him, but Jesus said the Holy Spirit will glorify Him, not Himself. Today’s devotional writer goes farther by saying that those who preach the Holy Spirit and ignore Christ do not have the Holy Spirit. This is not to say we ignore the Spirit for He is our Helper and Teacher, and our communication with the Lord in prayer. However, Christ is preeminent.

Here is one more example. Much exhortation is given in many passages concerning the preeminence of Jesus Christ. This clearly indicates that He is to be the focus of my thoughts, words, and actions. I am here to glorify Him.
“And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.” (Colossians 1:18)
^^^^^^^
Dear Jesus, how many times have I ignored You, or praised people overmuch for Your gifts to them, or patted myself on the back for something You did in me? I bow my head in shame and humility, asking for forgiveness and also the attitude change that is needed to change me so that my worship is for You, only You.



No comments: