December 18, 2017

Overcoming temptation



The first time God brought 1 Corinthians 10:13 to my mind in a life situation happened nearly forty years ago. The memory is vivid. I was riding in a car with another Christian. She was boasting that her life was without difficulty and she never had any problems.

I must admit that I knew instantly that she was not telling the truth. Being a Christian does not put us in a bed of roses or guarantee a trouble-free life. It might seem like it in the beginning as most experience a bit of a honeymoon phase in our new relationship with Jesus, but troubles come very soon.

Note the context of verse 13, and how the people of God were blessed but also tested.

“For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ. Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness. Now these things took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did. Do not be idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, ‘The people sat down to eat and drink and rose up to play.’ We must not indulge in sexual immorality as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single day. We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents, nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer. Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come. Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” (1 Corinthians 10:1–13)

As God’s children, they knew His guidance, were given spiritual sustenance, and had a solid foundation in their relationship with their Savior. However, the desire for evil had not magically vanished. They still wanted things that were forbidden and were sitting ducks for Satan, the Destroyer. Their response to temptation made them examples for us, that we should not think we are invincible. We will be tempted and often are.

Most of my Christian life has involved moving around North America. In those moves, I’ve met many Christians. A few have had a smug self-assurance that puts them in danger. As God says, pride comes before a fall. However, most are not that way. Instead, they are humble, transparent people who are willing to share their struggles.

For me, this has been important. Moving to new places involves being alone often. It takes time to meet and get to know new people. There have been many times when I felt alone with my problems and in fighting temptation. However, the Word of God affirms that I am not alone. Every Christian struggles in the same ways that I do. Knowing that makes it easier to seek support.

And because of God’s promise of providing a way of escape, I’ve also realized that sharing our struggles can be His way of revealing an escape plan. When others say, “This is what works for me . . . .” I know to perk up and listen. While no two people are exactly alike, and God rarely repeats His solutions, the answers He gives others almost always point me in the right direction.

Satan intends trials as temptation, yet God turns that temptation into a weapon against him and a means by which I am brought into maturity. He encourages me with these words:

“For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.” (Malachi 3:6)
“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2–4)
“Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.” (James 1:12)

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You are fully aware of my struggles against an enemy who does not want me to pray. For days now, my prayer time has been interrupted, challenged, and threatened in other ways. Yet this is a test — how deeply do I want/need to talk with you? Will I persevere? Will I find that way of escape? Or give up looking? I also realize that I am not alone, that all Your children face this same struggle. You promise that all this can build steadfast perseverance in me. I am grateful that You also promise the means to endure. “I can do all things through You who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:13)


No comments: