December 10, 2017

How much does Revelation reveal?



Writers and English language students learn the intricacies of figures of speech. Poets particularly know the wonders of word pictures, using images to describe invisible qualities, like love, pain, anger, and so on. Unless the average reader understands the image used, much of the Bible can be confusing because it is full of word pictures and symbols. Consider this passage:

“Then came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues and spoke to me, saying, ‘Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.’ And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. (Revelation 21:9–11)

Bowls full of plagues? A bride who is married to a Lamb? Carried away in the Spirit? A holy city coming out of heaven? The glory of God shining like a jewel?

I know that the wife represents the church and the Lamb represents Christ who was sacrificed for our sin, but what about the angel saying he will show the bride and then shows a city? How can the wife of the Lamb be a city?

These word pictures have created contention in the realm of theologians as well as in the minds of average readers. Some of it is clear, but much of Revelation hardly seem revealing. In the following verses, I understand a few things — and these are precious truths:

“Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.’ And he who was seated on the throne said, ‘Behold, I am making all things new.’ Also he said, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.’ And he said to me, ‘It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.’” (Revelation 21:1–8)

God will somehow replace the heaven and the earth. I know what the earth is, but what is the heaven? The sky? The dwelling place of God? Or is that entire phrase a word picture for something else?

The easier section says God will live with His people and take away all that makes us sad, including death. Everything will be new, and we can count on that. He started all things with a plan and He will finish what He started. He guarantees it.

He also says that sinful people (identified in other places as those who refuse to repent and have no faith in Him) will not be allowed to be with God. Instead, they will wind up in torment.

As for the city, it is further described. Some of the image is sparkling, but most of it is not familiar as a city, nor does it fully describe the “wife of the Lamb” that the angel was revealing:

“And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it, and its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there. They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.” (Revelation 21:23–27)

I know what it is like now to walk in the light (understanding) that Christ gives me. Is this the same in that eternal city? I’m not sure, but clearly, this is a place for only the people of God, for those who are in Jesus Christ’s book of life. If I’m unclear about the most of this fascinating book, this one thing I do know: Jesus has given me eternal life. By grace, I have been saved and I know by faith that He is my Savior and my God.

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You are the head of the church, the beginning of all things, and the preeminent one who rose from the dead. All who believe in You are united to You as a bride to her husband. We will spend eternity with You where there is no more darkness or pain, sorrow or sin. Because of that revelation, I am content to wait and see the meaning of the rest of Your revelation. Until then, I worship and love You with all my heart. You are Emmanuel, God with me!

No comments: