December 28, 2017

Going for a deeper motivation



I’ve become frustrated with myself because I don’t know how to help a person who obviously cannot do many things, but insists that she can “do it myself.” Over the past few days, it seems the best solution comes from remembering when my children were like that. I would let them try until they realized they were too little or too weak, finally coming to me and asking for help.

It’s different with adults though, particularly if they do not realize their efforts are not working, or who is putting themselves in danger by trying to do what they cannot do. Without giving examples, I can only say that I’m not sure how to be what I need to be, but not only that, I’m running out of motivation.

Before getting into a raging pity-party, God speaks to me this morning about motivation. He uses the prayer of Jesus from my favorite New Testament book:

“When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, ‘Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do . . . .’” (John 17:1–4)

Jesus faces far more challenges than I do. All of us were “I’ll do it myself” people who thought we could run our own lives. He sees my helplessness and pitiful self-effort. He sees the danger I put myself in by my pride and determination to do my own thing. He is patient and kind, but He also knows when to step in and intervene. He will not let me stand enjoying the limelight instead of getting on the train before the doors shut in my face, but grabs my hand and yanks me out of harm’s way or total humiliation and abandonment.

The line that speaks to me is that last one — Jesus glorified God by accomplishing the work God gave Him to do. This is why He came. He was on a mission, not for Himself, and not even for us, but for the Father. His mission was to reveal the God of gods to a world busily trying to live rich, full lives by ourselves, not realizing how blind, poor, and nakedly helpless we really are. We needed to see the glory of God to realize our impoverished state and with that vision of God in human flesh, we are changed forever.

I know that I cannot accomplish anything without the full power of the Holy Spirit. I also know that what I do for the people in my care is not about me, nor is it even about them. It is about living in such a way that I glorify God, that I reveal to others the wonder of Jesus Christ who lives in me.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, we both know that this is an impossible task. I cannot do it any more than I can “do it myself” with any part of life. To bring glory to You, I must be filled with Your Spirit, not trying to bypass the grace of God that enables me. If I am going to “do all things through Christ who gives me strength” then I need to abandon all self-effort and all motivations that may seem right. The only one that I need is that You are glorified.

No comments: