December 19, 2017

God is on my side



In conversation yesterday with my sister-in-law, we agreed that God’s commands and decrees are not about a ‘killjoy god’ who likes to throw his weight around. Instead, everything He tells us to do is for our good. The Bible repeatedly tells readers this is true — and the devil repeatedly tell us it isn’t so. Those who believe the lie simply cannot trust God, even when the going is good.

My personality and spiritual gifts tend toward seeing the downside first. I will report bad news quicker than good news and need encouragers to help me be positive. While I would not want to be a Pollyanna, these characteristics mean I’m often in a spiritual battle — with that Liar. I also carry a burden and pray for bad news that most Christians only say ‘tsk, tsk’ when they hear it. For this reason, I identify with the prophet Jeremiah.

“I am the man who has seen affliction under the rod of his wrath; he has driven and brought me into darkness without any light; surely against me he turns his hand again and again the whole day long. He has made my flesh and my skin waste away; he has broken my bones; he has besieged and enveloped me with bitterness and tribulation; he has made me dwell in darkness like the dead of long ago. He has walled me about so that I cannot escape; he has made my chains heavy; though I call and cry for help, he shuts out my prayer; he has blocked my ways with blocks of stones; he has made my paths crooked.” (Lamentations 3:1–9)

This chapter continues with the struggles this prophet has with life, with God, and with negativity. However, in the middle of it, he turns his heart toward the power and promises of God:

“Remember my affliction and my wanderings, the wormwood and the gall! My soul continually remembers it and is bowed down within me. But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.’ The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.” (Lamentations 3:19–26)

This could be my own story. I know the afflictions. Sometimes God goes after me, demanding humility and utter dependence on Him for everything, including parking spaces, strength for daily chores, grace to be kind to telemarketers, all the necessities of life, and even my very next breath. Under His hand, I’ve had many days feeling as if He has turned His back on me, shutting out my prayers and giving me no direction whatsoever.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, yet because of You and Your Holy Spirit, I can call to mind that God’s steadfast love never ceases. Your mercy is new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness. You are good to me as I seek You and wait for You. You will rescue me, not because I’ve deserved it but because You are God and You keep Your promises to Your children. All that happens in the world and all that I experience is in Your plan and under Your direction and care. You use all things for my good, to shape me into Your image. Because of You, even the negatives make sense. Thank You, Jesus.

No comments: