December 11, 2017

By God’s grace



My husband goes to a men’s early morning Bible study when his work commitments allow. Every year, the leader and his wife host a gathering of those men and their wives. The food is wonderful and their home looks like a magazine feature for Christmas décor.

At the same time, both host and hostess are more focused on the Lord and the Lord’s work than anything else. I appreciated their beautiful home, yet it is their lives that are worthy of imitating. Both thoughts leave me feeling a bit intimidated.

This morning’s usual devotion was not ‘calling my name’ so I asked the Lord what to read and He sent me to Charles Spurgeon’s devotional called “Morning and Evening.” The verse for the day came from this passage:

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil. Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16–24)

This brief passage says much about how to live the Christian life. Sometimes this ‘list’ seems impossible. Joy is almost always deep within me, but expressing it is sometimes elusive. I do not pray without ceasing and nor am I always thankful. I’m learning to listen to the Holy Spirit without throwing a wet blanket on His gentle commands, and learning to test them and hold on to them, but must confess that I fail often.

Yet despite my stumbles and failings, the Bible says that all who are in relationship with Jesus Christ are secure. I am His child and have committed my life to His keeping. Experience proves that His promises are true; He is a faithful and unchanging Savior.

Because this is a reality, I can enjoy security in this life. It is not that “high and glorious security which renders us free from every slip” but still a precious security. Jesus promises that no one who believes in Him will ever perish and that I will eternally be where He is. Living for Him may or may not include a well-decorated home, but it does include walking by faith and trusting Him to keep me in His care and present me faultless before His throne. As the Apostle Paul said, by grace, I am what I am.

^^^^^^^^^^
Thank You Lord Jesus for Your promises and Your power. This produces great joy in my heart — a joy that makes it possible to rejoice always. Keep teaching me to talk with You all day, to be totally thankful in all situations, and to listen and obey You always. May I honor Your faithfulness in every way and never waver from total confidence in You. And keep me from comparing myself with others!

No comments: