November 24, 2017

Why is this world in such a mess?



A few weeks ago, a friend and I talked about the decline in morality and a general low sense of well-being and safety that now characterizes North America and other parts of the world. I said that this is to be expected when God is pushed out of schools, public places, and when faith in Him is discouraged and even mocked. She looked at me like I had two heads.

My comments were based on history and what the Bible says about this topic. Proverbs is filled with statements about nations who bless or curse God. He can bestow prosperity or withhold it. This seems obvious in other countries, particularly those who have rejected Him to the point of forbidding faith and the gathering for worship of those who believe.
The ancient psalmists knew this also. One of them wrote:

“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage! The Lord looks down from heaven; he sees all the children of man; from where he sits enthroned he looks out on all the inhabitants of the earth, he who fashions the hearts of them all and observes all their deeds. The king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength. The war horse is a false hope for salvation, and by its great might it cannot rescue. Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love, that he may deliver their soul from death and keep them alive in famine.” (Psalm 33:12–19)

This is not to be construed that God-fearing nations will be perfect or have ideal living conditions, nor does it mean that God will withhold common grace from those who reject Him. However, this is a general truth. When any group of people turn their back on God, they have only their own selves to rely on.

The problem with relying on me alone is that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” My decisions, judgments, and ‘wisdom’ is from the perspective of ‘I want my own way.’

God’s Word actually describes sin as going our own way. It is relying on self and being motivated by personal desires. This might seem okay for a while, but without social and other restraints, going our own way leads eventually to strife and anarchy. When everyone does what seems right to them, conflict and chaos are bound to happen.

This psalm acknowledges that God chooses those who make Him their God, but He also looks for those who fear Him and put their hope in Him. He wants people to trust Him, not human leaders, not their armies, and by extension, not anything else but the Lord. He also holds responsible those who lack reverence and faith toward Him.

This general decline does not mean all people in North America have turned their backs on God. However, it does mean that those who hate God are quick to put down those who love Him. Persecution is on the rise. So is a general lack of recognition for people of faith. 
Also, we who believe quickly realize that the unbelieving world demands perfection from us (even though God does not accept us based on anything we do or don’t do). One mistake, one goof-up by a pastor, or a church, or joe-Christian, and they make this their reason for rejecting God’s offer of forgiveness and eternal life.

I know that I’m responsible to have a good reputation in this world. I also know that only way for that to happen is by loving and obeying God. Yet at the same time, the Bible also warns me:

“Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and imposters will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.” (2 Timothy 3:12-13)

The hate and violence Christians see in the world and sometimes experience personally, should not be a surprise. The only sinless person in history was and has always been both hated and loved. However, He speaks truth. He also accepts me as I am and loves me too much to leave me that way. As our nations turn their backs on Him, they are the worse for it.

^^^^^^
Jesus, faith in You can bring out animosity from others, yet without faith in You, I would be on their side, resisting You and mocking Christians. That makes me shudder. You have shown me the wonder of who You are and the power of Your grace and blessing. Because of You, I have peace with God, Your constant presence, and an abundant life. You guarantee my eternal future and bless me with all I need in this present life. I cannot understand how anyone can live in this world without You and without all that You do for Your people. My prayer is that You open the eyes of those who have blindly followed the ways of the world without realizing what they are missing.
 


No comments: