November 4, 2017

What does being ‘saved’ mean?



We’ve seen that billboard that says, “Jesus saves — we should also be thrifty!” We might chuckly or be annoyed at the use of this word to talk about being thrifty instead of a serious spiritual matter, yet it reminds me that words often have more than one meaning. I love my husband, but I also love pizza and quilting!

In Bible interpretation, context is important, particularly in today’s devotional verse, Psalm 37:39. The immediate context includes verse 40 and defines how the word ‘salvation’ is being used in this passage:

“The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; he is their stronghold in the time of trouble. The Lord helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him.” (Psalm 37:39–40)

A Hebrew concordance says the root meaning for salvation is to “make wide” or “make sufficient”— in contrast to another word that means “narrow,” or “be restricted” or “cause distress.” It explains that ‘wide’ is about freedom from distress and the ability to pursue one’s own objectives, a moving from distress to safety that requires deliverance. This deliverance generally comes from somewhere outside the one distressed. In the Old Testament this includes national and individual distress from enemies, natural catastrophes, such as plague or famine, and sickness.

The definition adds that anyone who brings deliverance is known as the “savior” yet this word is used in everyday life too, without theological overtones. One example is Moses saving the daughters of Reuel from some shepherds (Exodus 2:17).

However, the OT word ‘save’ or ‘salvation’ often has strong religious meaning because it points to God who delivers. He might empower people to do it, yet it is God behind the salvation. In the NT, this word generally means forgiveness of sin, deliverance from its power and defeat of Satan. The OT begins to point in this direction, yet many references to salvation speak of Yahweh granting deliverance from real enemies and out of real catastrophes. Reading Psalm 37:39-40 again, this is about salvation from wicked people. An illustration is given again from Exodus:
“Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a tambourine in her hand, and all the women went out after her with tambourines and dancing. And Miriam sang to them: ‘Sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.’” (Exodus 15:20–21)
This celebration points to God’s deliverance of His people from bondage in Egypt and the evil of forced slavery, setting them free to serve the Lord. While it depicts what Jesus later did concerning slavery to sin, these verses need to be considered in their context.

How can I interpret this saving power of God for today? Mostly by my life experiences. Last night I dreamt that I was driving on a slippery street and my vehicle would not stop when I braked. I slid into another vehicle. When I got out, the other driver said we could go to court or he would settle for a million dollars. I looked at the dent in his truck and realized that my vehicle could not have done that because it was not high enough. I told the man what I observed (and the many onlooking witnesses) and suggested he was being dishonest and greedy. Then I woke up.

This event never happened, but I did have a real incident where a woman accused me of hitting her bumper. I knew I didn’t, but leaned down and checked — impossible because my bumper was not even close to the same height as hers. When I told her, her husband hustled her to their car and they left. Both the dream and that situation illustrate God’s protection from this and many other evil things that could and do happen to many people. I take refuge in Him and He has proven to be a real stronghold from all sorts of evils.

^^^^^^
Jesus, I know You have saved me from the penalty and power of sin. I’m thankful that Your saving power is for sin, yet includes deliverance from a host of evils and the things that evil people might try to do to me. Life holds no guarantee of perfection, but I do know that You are in control of the forces that could threaten me. Thank You. Thank You also that the OT has wonderful promises that show Your saving care for Your people. 


No comments: