October 25, 2017

Worry is a robber



Our Wednesday morning ladies Bible study will discuss today what it means to keep the Sabbath. The book we are reading brings out the biblical truth that Sabbath is far more than taking a day off from work. While that might be part of it, this ‘rest’ commanded by God is also about ceasing in other ways. What preoccupies my time, my mind? What keeps me from a simple time of totally enjoying the Lord and resting in His love and presence?

When I read today’s devotional, it occurs to me that worry is a huge problem for many people. My mom was a worrier. It seemed this was her way of trying to control that which she could not control, so it was a fruitless and futile exercise. Worrying never accomplishes anything. I worried this week about something that didn’t happen last week. I worry today about an event I am going to next week. I worry about what a particular person might do or say the next time I see her. All of this is pointless.

Not only that, worry is sinful because it is a God-playing activity. It reveals that I am not trusting God about all of the above. Anxiety and worry are the biggest symptoms of not trusting His wisdom and plans for me. It is also the biggest symptom of being discontent with what He is doing. It reveals my pride, that I think I know better ways to run my life. Putting it that way, worry is a very black mark in my spiritual life.

Worry can also stem from looking at others and wanting what they have. When someone in the crowd asked Jesus, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me” He replied, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?” And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” (Luke 12:13–15) This man did not trust God to give him what he needed or take care of his needs.

Worry can also come from fear; fear of the future, fear of consequences, fear of the unknown. However, God is not the author of fear. He gives us power, love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:7) These thing drive out fear and are His answer to worry over a host of things.

Today’s devotional addresses anxiety over daily needs. Jesus told His disciples not to worry, why they should not worry, and what they should focus on instead.

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.” (Luke 12:22–31)

From many years of following this amazing advice, I can say that worrying about the ‘stuff’ of life is no match for concentrating on being His child and letting Him take care of what I need. He does amazing things, putting my worries about those things out of mind and bringing in great peace.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6–7)

^^^^^^^
Jesus, I realize that I do worry at times. I’ve been ranting this week about a few things that are out of my control — but they are not out of Your control, so I am being foolish and faithless over them. Forgive me and fill me with Your Spirit so my heart will be totally trusting You for anything that is nagging at me. Thank You for Your grace and power, not only to save me from sin, but for including worry in the list — so my heart can be in Sabbath mode — at rest every hour of every day!

No comments: