October 18, 2017

What to do when accused . . .



On occasion I’ve been accused of something I did not do. Another person assumes I am thinking a certain way or have a bad attitude about something, but their assumption is not true. This happens when we assume others think the same way we do, not realizing they may not! False accusations normally bring strong reactions such as: denial, self-defense, long explanations, and often anger and retaliation.

This morning’s devotional is about the events of Jesus’ death and what was accomplished regarding salvation. This is a big topic. What caught my attention was the way Jesus reacted to the accusations against Him; He didn’t.

“And the chief priests accused him of many things. And Pilate again asked him, ‘Have you no answer to make? See how many charges they bring against you.’ But Jesus made no further answer, so that Pilate was amazed.” (Mark 15:3–5)

The Old Testament speaks of the Messiah as without protest, like a sheep before its shearers making no sound. Oddly, those that accused Him were putting Him to death for things that were true, but they thought were false. For instance, the inscription of the charge against him read, “The King of the Jews” (Mark 15:26) even though those who cried, “Crucify Him” wanted it to say that He claimed to be King of the Jews.

Jesus is the King of the Jews. He called Himself the Son of God and that is also true. What they did not realize that by going to the cross, Jesus was taking on Himself the sins of all mankind for all time. He took our guilt and shame, yet oddly that accusation was never made. Had it been, the entire scenario would have been different.

How is this practical for my walk of faith? Does the Lord expect me to be silent when accused? Particularly if the accusation is blatantly false?

The Bible says that if I’m accused of sin I was guilty of but have confessed, Satan is behind it attempting me to wallow in self-incrimination and self-centered pity. His false accusations need to be met with declarations of what Jesus has done; I am forgiven, justified, taken care of by the death and resurrection of my Savior.

However, if the accusation is true but not taken to the Cross, then I am to speak up in confession of sin, never in self-defense or by making excuses or giving ‘logical’ reasons for doing what I did. Most of the time, this confession is only for God, but sometimes I need to say, “Yes, you are right” to those who accuse me when I am guilty.

Yet what Jesus in remaining silent was my example for yet another situation. If I am innocent, I need to be silent. Usually, a strong protest adds weight to the fingers pointed. Instead, a better response is to not respond at all . . .  

“For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly.” (1 Peter 2:21–23)

This thinking goes along with the Bible’s instruction concerning retaliation. It says:

“Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them . . . . Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.’ To the contrary, ‘if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.’ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12:14–21)

Both false accusations and persecution call for a response of trusting God, not fighting back but leaving it to Him to defend me. If I am falsely accused, He will vindicate me. If I am mistreated, He will make it right. This is about faith in action without taking any action!

^^^^^^^
Jesus, when I take time to think about Your response to those who put You to death, I’m both humbled and deeply awed. You are amazing — and You did that for my sin, for me.


No comments: