October 14, 2017

Responding to grace


(Devotional for October 13, posted after midnight - yawn)

This morning, God speaks to me from my daily ‘read through the Bible’ rather than the usual devotional book. He caught my attention with two verses. The first one prompted a bit of research; the second prompted confession.

This first verse exhorts me to live a life worthy of the Gospel. The same phrase is repeated in other places, helping me to form a definition of a worthy manner of life:

“Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God.” (Philippians 1:27–28)

“I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” (Ephesians 4:1–3)

“. . . walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy; giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.” (Colossians 1:10–12)

“We exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory. And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.” (1 Thessalonians 2:12–13)

God called me into His kingdom by grace, not because anything I am or do, yet this gracious gift means at least a thank You. God has given me new life, a new nature which ought to be expressed in the following ways:

  • Unity and a firm stand for the Gospel alongside other Christians with the same mind in matters of faith.
  • Having no fear of those who oppose us.
  • Being humble, gentle, patient, with others, eager for unity and peace, and fruitful in what I do.
  • Increasing in my knowledge of God, strong in His power and glorifying Him.
Persevering in joy and with thankfulness

Often my day begins with a to-do list. As I look at this, that to-do list comes to mind, but I know that apart from Christ, none of this is possible. If I abide in Him and obey Him, He will produce in me these worthy attitudes and actions.

However, the old me sometimes gets in the way. I start projects or come up with ideas that look good at first, but are driving by me instead of by the Holy Spirit. For instance, I’ve been spending time in creative projects with a person who needs Jesus. After our sessions together, I often feel frustrated, as if this relationship is going nowhere and is a waste of time. This morning God gave me an elbow in the ribs to show me how I am interfering with His blessing in it. He says:

“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” (Philippians 2:3)

Oh, that feels more like a swift kick than an elbow. I notice that I have plans and ambitions that I want to have happen in this relationship, and I’ve also noticed myself considering my plans, ideas, and so on more significant than hers. This verse nails it; I’m selfishly ambitious and conceited, proud and considering myself and my ideas more significant than her and what she is doing. While we cannot have the unity and mutuality spoken of in the other passages about a ‘worthy walk’ as Christians together, this verse admonishes me in the way I relate to her and anyone else not yet in the kingdom.

^^^^^^^
Jesus, You speak loud and clear. I confess my pride and selfish ambition to You. I know that You hear and forgive. 1 John 1:9 says You also cleanse me from this unrighteousness when bring it to You. I’ve been praying for this other person to change and not seeing results. Today, I realize I’ve been praying for change for the wrong person.


No comments: