October 12, 2017

Is God sovereign over those who reject Him?



I’ve heard said that in our modern world, most people do not consider themselves sinners, but if idolatry is discussed, most will admit that they do rely on some sort of idol, but do not realize the seriousness of it.

Israel did it too. God said to them: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. Who is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and set it before me, since I appointed an ancient people. Let them declare what is to come, and what will happen. Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any.” (Isaiah 44:6–8)

He also said this of idols, those who create them, and the outcome of doing so:

“All who fashion idols are nothing, and the things they delight in do not profit. Their witnesses neither see nor know, that they may be put to shame. Who fashions a god or casts an idol that is profitable for nothing? Behold, all his companions shall be put to shame, and the craftsmen are only human. Let them all assemble, let them stand forth. They shall be terrified; they shall be put to shame together.” (Isaiah 44:9–11)

Almighty God will deal with idolatry, but He also explains the folly of it. He describes how a carpenter shapes a figure like a man to stand up in his house. He picks a regular tree from the forest for the idol, but also takes the same tree and chops it up for firewood to make himself warm, or to make bread or roast meat. But the other part he makes into a god, his idol, and prostrates to it in worships. He prays to it and says, “Deliver me, for you are my god!” (Isaiah 44:13–17)

The interesting part of this passage tells me that no matter the idolatry, Almighty God is still sovereign, even over these who say NO to Him and yes to their idols . . .

“They know not, nor do they discern, for he (God) has shut their eyes, so that they cannot see, and their hearts, so that they cannot understand. No one considers, nor is there knowledge or discernment to say, ‘Half of it I burned in the fire; I also baked bread on its coals; I roasted meat and have eaten. And shall I make the rest of it an abomination? Shall I fall down before a block of wood?’ He feeds on ashes; a deluded heart has led him astray, and he cannot deliver himself or say, ‘Is there not a lie in my right hand?’” (Isaiah 44:18–20)

In our society, the idols are rarely figures made of wood or any other material. If asked, those who reject God will admit to relying on money, achievements, other people, drugs, or a host of other things with a few surprises in the mix. For me, the surprise is that God shuts their eyes to their folly. He blinds them so they cannot understand or admit that they are deluded and lying to themselves. Even those who admit they idolize this or rely on that do not see the folly of it.

Today’s devotional says a false view of God can be an idol. The writer cites those who think that human refusal makes those people more powerful than a God who can save anyone He chooses. He says this infers a weak god that is not the real God. However, this passage says something about the power of God that the devotional misses. If a person decides to worship an idol, and God shuts their mind and locks them into their sin, who then has the greater power?

^^^^^^^
Jesus, I am personally aware of Your ability to open blind eyes and set captives free. I’m also aware that You save all whom the Father gives to You. The mystery is that everyone would reject You; no one would seek You unless You pluck some out for Yourself. You say, “Whosoever will may come” knowing full well that no one will come unless You take off their blinkers. You give no reason for Your choices only to say You will have mercy on those You have mercy. As for those who refuse to believe, You cannot be blamed or called weak. According to this passage, idolaters remain under Your sovereign power.


No comments: