October 26, 2017

How to have a shiny face



A friend told me that before she was saved she easily identified Christians. It was not by anything they did or said though; it was their shiny faces!

I might have laughed at this, except that the Bible confirmed her observation:

“I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together! I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.” (Psalm 34:1–5)

A radiant face is not uncommon. It can be seen on newlyweds, the faces of many women who are pregnant, and on a child in wonder over a new discovery. It is the mark of delight, even perfect contentment and joy.

According to the psalmist, my face should be radiant. Yet there is a caveat for this. The Bible says that it happens to those who look to the Lord, who bless and praise Him all the time, trusting Him and not boasting in themselves. By this attitude of total and joyful trust, they are delivered from fear and invite others to be glad in Him and magnify His name with them.

Sometimes Christians are more noted for sour faces. For instance, it happens to me when I worry instead of trust Him, or when  I grumble instead of being thankful, or when I’m selfish and things are not going my way.

What is the cure for this? A clue comes from the psalmist in his invitation to others; he says “let the humble hear and be glad.” The joy of the Lord is not available to the proud of heart.

Humility is a great key. Without it, I’m not seeking anything from the Lord because I’m satisfied with myself. Without it, I think I can handle my life. Without it, I’ve no reason to be overjoyed because I’ve shut off the grace of God and am living by my own efforts and strength, not aware or not admitting my efforts are puny.

However, even if what I do looks good and seems to work for me and please others, it is not the way that God works. His avenue for blessing in my Christian life is the same as His avenue for blessing in becoming a Christian:

“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:8–10)

I cannot save myself. Humility is important in being able to say that, but humility does not save me either. As the Word of God says, I am saved by grace through faith, not my own doing. My face might take on a glow when I am boasting, but that is not the same as the radiant face of one who has received the gift of God and been recreated in Christ.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, all I can say is wow! No, that is not all . . . I will bless You today, praise You continually and boast in You, from my insides and out of my mouth. Those who are humble will hear and be glad. I can invite them to magnify You with me; we will exalt Your name together! I can continually seek You, knowing You will answer me and deliver me from whatever troubles me. I will not be ashamed or bashful about the faith and life You have given me, and who knows, I might even have a shiny face!



No comments: