October 22, 2017

God’s reason for allowing troubles



Climate change seems to threaten the earth. Terrorists, serial killers, plane crashes, and other every day accidents threaten our lives, as does extreme weather, illness and even plagues. The world is increasingly a dangerous place to live.

How do people cope with traumas in the news? Do they try to grin and bear it? Do they fall apart? Do they use alcohol or other mind-altering substances? Many simply ignore the media and live in ignorance of most threats, which isn’t much help. They are like the child who covers his eyes and thinks no one can see him.

For Christians, these things are a faith test. We in North America who enjoy the ‘good life’ slide into thinking that our affluence is evidence that God loves us. When trials come, we are inclined to wonder if God has stopped caring. However, He has a good reason for allowing them:

“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” (James 1:2–4)

When I read the news, or more personally, when I answer the telephone, the events on the other end creep into my soul and threaten my trust. Is God turning His back on this world? Why are babies dying of starvation? Why are ordinary people being shot at? Why are folks in Madagascar dying of the plague? Why have world leaders been targeted for slips of the tongue when there are far more important issues — like bombs and hate, child prostitution and drug overdose? Why are Christians being persecuted in greater numbers than ever before in history?

This morning, God blesses my heart with a psalm that exalts the power and plan of God. It puts my faith on solid ground, but also points to the future where God’s plan will be realized and all the efforts of even the most powerful people will come to nothing:

“Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him! For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm. The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; he frustrates the plans of the peoples. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations. Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage! The Lord looks down from heaven; he sees all the children of man; from where he sits enthroned he looks out on all the inhabitants of the earth, he who fashions the hearts of them all and observes all their deeds. The king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength. The war horse is a false hope for salvation, and by its great might it cannot rescue. Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love, that he may deliver their soul from death and keep them alive in famine. Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in you.” (Psalm 33:8–22)

This is the God that I trust, the God whose Word overrides the news, social media, hysteria, anxiety and daily worries of me and of the people around me. He is powerful, sovereign, able to save. He delivered my soul from the penalty of sin; He easily can deliver me from all threats. And if He does not deliver me and one of them takes away my life, then I will go to eternity, a perfect place because I am with Him. I’ve nothing to gain by worry, nothing to lose by dying because of my faith, but everything to gain. Life is good, not because of the God-blessed comforts, but because of His eternal assurance.

^^^^^
Jesus, the news is fearful, yet because of You, my fears fade and are replace by praise. I stand in awe of You, the One who spoke and all creation happened; the One who delivered me from the penalty of sin and helps me with every detail of life. Most definitely You are my help and shield — and my heart is glad in You.

No comments: