October 15, 2017

Faith in God, not in my logic



Interpreting the Bible requires both common sense and a clear head. If I read about Judas going out to “hang himself” and determined that applied to me, only my enemies would agree that was an excellent interpretation and application of that Scripture!

Another folly is called ‘proof texting’ where a verse is taken out of context and used to ‘prove’ a doctrine or Bible teaching. This can be both amusing and dangerous, and it happens often. One reason is that the Bible has some teachings that appear to contradict one another Most people have trouble with contradictions and find it easier to believe one side of the issue rather than trust God that both are true and wait on Him to explain how that can be.

For instance, the Word of God says God loves all people, but also suggests He loves only those who are His people. Does this mean He will eventually make all people His people? Does this mean two kinds of love? Does this mean God loves everyone? Or just those who love Him back?

I can understand that God loves me because of who He is, not because of who I am. I have nothing in me that is worthy of being loved, yet He loves because it is His nature to love.
However, Fortner writes in his devotionals that God loves His people but not others. He uses verses like, “Jacob I have loved and Esau I have hated” as well as other verses that focus on God’s love for those He has redeemed. However, there are other verses that describe His love with a universal element.

For instance, in Matthew 5:43ff, Jesus tells me to love my enemies. How can He say that if He does not do it Himself? Romans 5 also says, “while we were yet sinners” God showed His love for us by sending Jesus to die, meaning He loved me before He redeemed me.

This morning, I found another surprising element to the question of who God loves . . .

“Then the anger of the Lord was kindled against his people, and he abhorred his heritage; he gave them into the hand of the nations, so that those who hated them ruled over them. Their enemies oppressed them, and they were brought into subjection under their power. Many times he delivered them, but they were rebellious in their purposes and were brought low through their iniquity. Nevertheless, he looked upon their distress, when he heard their cry. For their sake he remembered his covenant, and relented according to the abundance of his steadfast love. He caused them to be pitied by all those who held them captive.” (Psalm 106:40–46, italics mine)

Some will say that God loves sinners but hates their sin, applying it to also to those who are His people. However, this passage says God “abhorred His heritage” and then “relented” according to His “steadfast love” which is an act of grace. In other words, God hated His people for their sin, then relented, deciding to let love rule rather than wrath.
Another element in understanding the Bible is paying attention to how it spoke to the original audience. These verses from Psalm 106 remind Israel of God’s efforts to deliver them from sin and their continual rebellion. However, the love of God rose above His anger against their sin and He relented.

What does all this mean? It means that I need to use caution and avoid using any passage of Scripture to support one side of a two-sided coin. God is sovereign; people are responsible to make godly choices. God loves the world; God particularly loves His redeemed people. God hates sin; God sent Jesus to die for our sin. God controls the weather; we are given dominion over creation. God hates sinners; God loves sinners.

I also need to be aware of what I am doing and how God is speaking to me. What do I need to hear? Am I straying into sin? Then I need to hear about His wrath against sin. Am I wandering away from Him because I’m thinking He does not love me? Then I need to read of His great love, not His wrath.

God knows what I need at any given moment and devotional reading is about seeking His mind for that need. When He speaks to my need (the Greek word is ‘rhema’), I hear Him and am drawn to love and obey Him. In some instances, His instructions or words may seem to clash, but they will always be supported by the Bible and the Holy Spirit will always use them appropriately.

^^^^^^
Jesus, I don’t want to become overly subjective or read only what I want to hear. Nor do I want to become so objective that everything I read must be ‘logical’ so I know all the answers. Faith is being able to know that You know all things, even what does not make sense to me. Faith knows that You are God, even when Your Word seems to contradict itself. Faith can hold those opposites in tension and still trust You entirely. I am to walk by faith. Help me to not be anxious about contradictions — just content to wait on You for explanations.


No comments: