October 4, 2017

Confession is never easy . . .



A friend once asked me, “What is the big deal about the gospel? Why do people struggle over Jesus dying for the sin of the world?”

I asked, “What about your sin?” He paused for a few moments, then said, “I see what you mean.”

The Bible teaches the facts of what Jesus did, facts that had been disputed for decades, but there is almost no argument now that this really happened just as the Bible says:

“For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures . . .”  (1 Corinthians 15:3–4)

While some would say the resurrection is a myth, far more people struggle with the part that says, “Christ died for our sins.” Jesus explained the reason for this right after the good news of John 3:16:

“For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.” (John 3:17–20)

Personally, I’m not particularly fond of having my sin exposed either. Pride and wanting to be well-thought of easily stands in the way of honest confession. However, learning the folly of sin and how it ruins my life, friendships, and relationship with God gives confession the edge.

“Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy.” (Proverbs 28:13)

As my friend experienced, personal confession doesn’t have much appeal up front, but the more I walk with Jesus, the easier it becomes. The reason? Hanging on to sin messes with fellowship with Him and with other Christians. Being close to Jesus involves a contrite heart, humility, and most of all, honesty. Trying to conceal the junk that runs contrary to holiness ruins all of that and all of that has become far too precious to ruin. Paul wrote:

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, ‘The righteous shall live by faith.’” (Romans 1:16–17)

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, forgive me for the times that I have tried to conceal from You the awfulness of my sin. You are so gracious to forgive and cleanse me that my reluctance makes no sense. Sometimes, sin needs to be confessed to others and that might be more difficult because not everyone is merciful and gracious like You. However, You have taught me the importance of keeping short accounts with You and with anyone I sin against is a vital part of the gospel. Admitting my sin is the only access to Your power for salvation from sin, and a major part of living by faith. 

No comments: