September 18, 2017

Whosoever will may come . . .



Today I’ve much on my heart. A member of my family died yesterday. My hubby has the last step of his reconstructive surgery this morning. The events of the past two weeks in the USA are still on my heart, never mind much bad news from family, friends, and other places in the world that I am praying about.

When I come to Fortner’s daily devotional, often the topic or Scripture touches the needs of my heart. However, today I shake my head and wonder. Why is a Christian devotional book written as if it is being read by people who do not believe in Christ? While helpful at times for my efforts at evangelism, I am looking for ‘rhema’ from the Lord, that special and intimate conversation that builds my faith and sets me on a God-centered path for the day.

Besides that, Fortner has a pet topic — the doctrine of election. Many daily readings focus on it, often with the assumption that his readers are either not Christians or not in agreement that God alone is the author of our salvation. Some of his statements whip up the ‘debater’ in me and I want to say to him, “Wait a minute . . .” and add something important that he seems to have missed. Today is one of those days.

He writes, “I have on occasion met poor souls who desperately felt their need of Christ and his righteousness. But they stumbled over the doctrine of election, thinking, ‘If I am not elect, I cannot believe; and I have no reason to suppose that I am elect. Therefore, I dare not trust Christ and confess him.’”

When I read that, my first thought was: “If anyone is feeling their need for Christ and His righteousness, then God is already at work in their lives.” This is what that ‘poor sinner’ needs to hear. If the Holy Spirit was not involved, they would not be convicted of their sin:

“And when (the Holy Spirit) comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me . . .”  (John 16:8–9)

This is part of the process of becoming saved, of being one whom God is reaching with the good news of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. One of the first things they become aware of is their sin and unbelief. If at that point any person becomes fearful about election, I daresay it is because that doctrine has been preached at them too much!

Maybe that is a rude reaction. However, I am thinking this doctrine is far more for Christians to hear than for those who are seeking Christ. The seekers need to hear “whosoever will may come” and those who already know Christ and perhaps have become proud of their status before Him need to hear that God did it; their salvation has nothing to do with their merit or worth!

Today’s scripture illustrates the attitude of a needy sinner and the mercy of Jesus Christ:

And Jesus went away from there and withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon.” But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, “Send her away, for she is crying out after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” And he answered, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” Then Jesus answered her, “O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed instantly. (Matthew 15:21–28)

Jesus tells her that He was sent to the lost sheep of Israel, but that is not a statement of election. God sent Jesus to “Seek and save those who are lost” beginning with the Jews (see Luke 19:10). This woman was not a Jew, but her daughter was lost and she was desperate. She came to the one she knew could do something about it. He tested her faith by reminding her that salvation was first for the Jews, but she didn’t give up. Instead, she humbly pleaded, trusting Jesus to meet her need. He did just that.

Again, sinners need to hear that no matter who they are and no matter what they have done, Jesus will respond to a genuine and humble plea for mercy. Telling anyone that God saves only the elect may be true, but this not for someone crawling on their knees toward the Cross.

^^^^^^^
Jesus, today You remind me that it is possible to be insensitive to those who need You by making salvation seem out of their reach. However, I also can be ignorant of thinking I am superior because I know You, forgetting that salvation is Your doing. Whatever I know about You is Your doing as well. You have given me mercy and I am to be utterly grateful. You have also given me crumbs and I’m to be overjoyed, never inflated in any way that You have grabbed hold of my hand and fed me what I need.

Note: Hubby's surgery went well. He is glad to have only scars instead of bandages, but still needs to heal.

No comments: