September 11, 2017

Seeds die before flowers grow!



This spring we bought tomato plants for the sunshine side of our home. We had two planting pots left over and my husband had two seed packets stowed in the back of his desk drawer. He forgot where they came from or how long they were there, perhaps 2-3 years. We had nothing to lose so sprinkled the contents in each of the planters and kept them moist. One was ‘wildflowers’ and the other ‘Shasta Daisy’ — a perennial.

The wildflowers came up thick and have been blooming for several weeks. The daisies came up thick too, even had to be thinned. They will bloom next year if we replant them in a good spot. Both came from tiny seeds, useless until they were planted, and useless unless their shells decayed and released the life hidden in them. I smile every time I look at them.

Jesus said to His disciples: “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.” (John 12:23–26)

Jesus was talking about Himself and what His death would accomplish, but He was also talking about His followers. For us, this death is like His but different. He died on the Cross and rose from that death to give us eternal life. For Christians, we must die to our old ways, to self-rule as He did when He said, “Not My will but Thine be done” to His Father. When we yield all to Him like that, His eternal life is released from us, blessing others with that quality of life that cannot die.

Today’s devotional reading lists some ‘fruit’ that the death of Christ produced. The first one is that His death satisfied the justice of God. Because He died in our place, we do not pay the penalty for sin. (See Romans 3:25–26) I cannot produce that atoning ‘fruit’ by putting to death my old nature and living in the fullness of the new life Christ has given me, yet that new life is His life, a life of power and grace. What will He grow?

Actually, I cannot guess what He will do through me. When we planted those wildflowers, the seed packet did not list the contents. We did not know what the ‘fruit’ would look like, nor that it would be so prolific. Planted in faith? Maybe, but the seeds were definitely planted in hope. They surprised us by growing and their blooms give great pleasure. I’d like my life to be like that — growing and giving joy to others.

The second ‘fruit’ listed in the devotional is that Christ’s death “redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, ‘Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree’” (Galatians 3:13).

The Law of God can no longer condemn us because Jesus took that condemnation on Himself. His death paid the price so I could escape the damnation of sin. I cannot do that for others either, but can God use the ‘death of me’ to help others better understand that Jesus Christ’s death has the power to change lives.

The third fruit is removal of guilt by forgiveness: “In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace.” (Ephesians 1:7)

I’ve never thought of comparing forgiveness with flowers before now. Knowing that God (or anyone else) is not angry with me for any wrong-doing is like being in a garden of roses, like enjoying the perfume of sweet peas, like looking across a sea of tulips or red poppies. All because He died. If I could give the world a great gift, it would have to be the gift of redemption, the freedom of knowing all is forgiven, the beauty of guilt lifted, then replaced with incredible beauty and delight.

Fourth, Satan is defeated. “Now is the judgment of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out.” (John 12:31) No brainer. Each time I say NO to self and YES to God, the enemy must flee. He cannot stay in the presence of a surrendered heart.

Fifth is sanctification. It is first declared and bestowed, then made a reality by the One “who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.” (Titus 2:14) This is what happens to those who ‘eat’ the fruit of His life (See John 6:35-58). The saying, “You are what you eat” is never truer or more amazing than this!

Sixth is the certainty of eternal life. Unlike a flower seed that produces a flower, that produces more seed, the ‘fruit’ from Christ, and the ‘fruit’ from dying to self lives forever: “Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.” (Romans 6:8)

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, oh Jesus, You are awesome. Those flowers gave us beauty and joy through seeds that ‘died’ but came out of a tomb to give us far more than we expected. Through Your death, You gave us Your life. Your Spirit fills us with His amazing fruit. Your life makes us a blessing to others, a sweet perfume of Your wonderful grace. Today, my intention is to live for You, not concerned about me (for You will take care of that) but letting the fruit of Your death and resurrection define all that I think and do. 


No comments: