September 21, 2017

Reassurance



Yesterday my anxiety for unsaved souls was overwhelming. This included those closest to me as well as people that I don’t know personally, just know their struggles and situations. I was praying, but feeling beat up.

Last night God surprised me. A dear Christian friend, one of those people who knows when others are troubled without words being said, showed up with supper for us. She brought a pot of stew, dinner rolls and butter, and an apple pie! No one has ever done that before. She said, “The Lord told me to do it.”

This morning I prayed asking God for another surprise. In less than an hour, He delivered two of them. One was a call from a cousin. I’ve not talked to her for a long time. Our conversation was positive and she put a smile on my face.

The second surprise came with the verses and words from today’s devotional. Fortner summed it up by saying, “This is our assurance and security in Christ. We do not in any way trust in ourselves. But we do trust the Lord our God. The faithfulness of God, the blood of Christ, the intercession of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit assure us that none of Christ’s sheep will ever perish.”

However, my take on the verses he referred to focused more about His power to save others since I’m already certain of eternal life for myself because of Jesus Christ. My deepest desire is that family, friends, and others have the same assurance. God speaks of His power to make that a reality:

“Behold, I will gather them from all the countries to which I drove them in my anger and my wrath and in great indignation. I will bring them back to this place, and I will make them dwell in safety. And they shall be my people, and I will be their God. I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them. I will make with them an everlasting covenant, that I will not turn away from doing good to them. And I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me. I will rejoice in doing them good, and I will plant them in this land in faithfulness, with all my heart and all my soul.” (Jeremiah 32:37–41)

He is talking about Israel, but also His power to give people the heart and the attitudes they need to be in awe of Him and not turn from Him. It is God’s desire to do them good and make them His own, His faithful people.

God also shares the wonderful provision and care He has for His people, and promises to take care of their families as well:

“But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: ‘Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior . . . Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life. Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you. I will say to the north, Give up, and to the south, Do not withhold; bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the end of the earth, everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.’” (Isaiah 43:1–7)

God blesses me with assurance of His great power to save people, then says these words to affirm that nothing can stop Him or undo what He has done or will do:

“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me. I, I am the Lord, and besides me there is no savior. I declared and saved and proclaimed, when there was no strange god among you; and you are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and I am God. Also henceforth I am he; there is none who can deliver from my hand; I work, and who can turn it back?” (Isaiah 43:10–13)

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I’d like to rest in these words for the rest of today and longer. I know that You have given these assurances to me before. Forgive me for letting them get away from me, and for letting worry and fear replace Your peace. More than ever, I know how much I need You. You are my Savior, and every day I need saving from something, often from myself and that tendency to walk in fear because of what is going on instead of in faith and full assurance that You are walking with me.

No comments: