September 2, 2017

Praising God no matter what



Yesterday I heard a prominent CNN reporter sum up an event in a flooded city in Texas, another story of disaster because of Hurricane Harvey. Then he said, “This is one more item to put on your prayer list.”

The media usually does not say things like that, but as the news came through about this storm, it soon became overwhelming to everyone. I felt drawn to watch what was happening, but the enormity of it created great stress in my heart. I wanted to turn it off. A friend and I agreed that the media needed to start reporting some of the good news. Otherwise, they would soon lose all their viewers.

Within a day or two, some of them seemed to have realized this. They began to show dramatic rescues and the gratitude expressed by those who were brought to safety. Many of them were thanking God and some were openly praising Him. Others may have expressed opposite thoughts, but the media continues to focus on those who have been able to glorify the Lord even in their dire situations.

Today’s devotional directs me to one verse in the following paragraph, picking up the idea that those who love the Lord should magnify His name:

Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me! O Lord, make haste to help me! Let those be put to shame and disappointed altogether who seek to snatch away my life; let those be turned back and brought to dishonor who delight in my hurt! Let those be appalled because of their shame who say to me, “Aha, Aha!” But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation say continually, “Great is the Lord!” As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God! (Psalm 40:13–17)

David wrote this psalm. He begins by telling how he waited patiently for the Lord who heard his cry and rescued him from destruction “out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure” (Psalm 40:1-2). While David was not in a literal flood, these words describe the praise of those pulled from the muddy waters in Houston. People stranded on rooftops, in cars, in their mud and silt-filled homes are being pulled out and taken to a safe place.

Earlier this year, God blessed me with verse 3, and as I read it again, the events in Texas and the words of those rescued who are praising God give this verse an even greater impact:

He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD. (Psalm 40:3)

While I already trust God for salvation, I more deeply understand the power of praising God after seeing these flood survivors for whom God has put a new song of praise in their mouths. This is not easy.

In our lives, much is happening and my prayer list is long. One brother is in pain and not had more than two or three hours sleep at a stretch for two months. His daughter-in-law awaits surgery for cancer. My sister cannot remember ordinary words and says talking to her is “like being on a quiz show.” My other brother is entrenched in a cult. Our daughter waits for serious surgery. Her daughter returned from Africa with Malaria and another virus that might take a year for recovery. My hubby is still recovering from a nasty surgery to his face. My left eye is still blurry, nearly three months after cataract surgery.
I could go on with more from my prayer list, yet God encourages me again to praise the Lord. No matter what is going on, this is possible. The Christians in Texas can magnify the Lord after losing all that they have. I can see and fear too, and put my trust in the Lord and praise Him.

^^^^^^^^^
Oh Jesus, my list includes a great deal of stressful items and concerns involving trauma, but it also has items of praise and thanksgiving. Many of the people involved know and love You. If the outcome for them is the end of their lives here, it means they will live on forever with You. That is a greater glory. As for the other people and situations, I know You are sovereign and powerful. I also know You are merciful and gracious with great wisdom. The course of events in this world is not taking You by surprise nor is it beyond Your ability to use or change for Your purposes. In all of it, I also desire to magnify Your name. You are good and Your love endures forever. Amen.

No comments: