September 19, 2017

Not me, but Christ alone



In the early eighties, my husband and I spent several months learning how to present the Gospel. The church we attended had many first-time visitors who were asked to fill in a visitor’s card, giving us contact information so the teams in this outreach program could visit and share the Gospel with them.

At that time, I thought a good argument would do it, that I could persuade people to believing using logic. My mentors were not happy with me, but it took an unusual situation to put me on the right track.

I met a woman who was in a bad situation. Her husband left her with several children, no money, and poor health. She was unable to work and was selling a drafting table. I answered her ad and we became friends. I took her shopping, babysat the two smallest boys to give her a break, and did a lot of listening. One Sunday, our son wasn’t feeling well so I stayed home with him while the family went to church. He was busy playing a game so I decided to call this woman. One thing led to another and I gave her the Gospel presentation I’d been taught — only I messed it up — thoroughly. Nothing I said was logical or made sense.

She listened. She became a Christian. I was stunned. Her life changed dramatically, and from that time on, I knew that the power of God’s good news was not in the ability of the person who shared it, but in the message itself. It was exactly as Paul wrote about his own life:

“For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.” (1 Corinthians 1:17)

“And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.” (1 Corinthians 2:1–5)

Not only is this true, it is true for a reason — God is glorified. No one can boast that they “led so-and-so to the Lord” for it is the Lord who brings people to Himself. If human beings have any eloquence at all, it is a gift from God, not a talent to boast about or flaunt as if He had nothing to do with it.

But God does not need eloquence. The truth is, God isn’t interested in my ‘wisdom’ or in my ‘strengths’ because nothing I have is mine, and even if it were, none of it can be compared to the power of God.

“For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, ‘Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.’” (1 Corinthians 1:26–31)

I’ve lost touch with that friend who God saved that day and only know that the Lord transformed her life. He blessed her and took care of her, even used a foolish, weak, and pride-filled person to do it. And He used her to knock the stuffing out of my self-sufficiency.

^^^^^^
Jesus, You are the most awesome, most wise God. You can humble and raise up at the same time, use fools for Your purposes, and give each of us exactly what we need to look up to You and boast in You alone.

No comments: