September 24, 2017

Grace and humility



Years ago, someone wrote a book entitled, “Grace is not a Blue-eyed Blonde” with intention to clear up the meaning of biblical grace. This word does have several definitions. It is said to be ‘God’s undeserved kindness’ or ‘God’s Riches at Christ’s Expense.’ My favorite is: ‘a revelation of Jesus Christ that produces a changed life.’

This definition fits my experience of salvation; God opened my heart to realize who Jesus is and what He has done in such a way that I was born anew. It also fits the daily experience of living by grace, growing more like Jesus as He reveals Himself to me through His Word and through my relationship with Him.

The book of job illustrates this definition too. Job had many troubles. He did not know that he was a battleground. Satan challenged the Lord saying if Job was not blessed by God, the faith that God gave him would crumble. God gave this evil being access to do whatever he wanted, only he was not allowed to take Job’s life.

Throughout his trial, Job had no idea what was going on in the spiritual realm. He only knew that he lost everything except his wife and his life. At first, he accepted that God’s hand was on him, but when his three friends began accusing him, things changed. They said he must have done something to deserve this treatment and was being punished. Job knew that was not true and defended himself. However, he became frustrated with their arguments and dangerously close to accusing God of wrong-doing.

In the end, God spoke to him. Here is part of the conversation:

And the Lord said to Job: “Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it.” Then Job answered the Lord and said: “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further.” (Job 40:1–5)

Then Job answered the Lord and said: “I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’ Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. ‘Hear, and I will speak; I will question you, and you make it known to me.’ I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.” (Job 42:1–6)

Job’s attitude of humility came when his eyes saw God, a sovereign act of grace. This ‘seeing’ was not necessarily literal, but the presence of God was so real to him that he used those words. This revelation of God changed Job and moved him to humility.
David experienced the same thing after his sin was uncovered and forgiven. He described the change of heart and said: “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” (Psalm 51:17)

For us, the ultimate revelation of God comes through Jesus Christ. The New Testament says things like:

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. (2 Corinthians 3:17–18)

Being transformed into the image of Jesus Christ is the destiny of those who believe in Him. As we gaze upon His glory and worship His holy name, we are both humbled and exalted, humbled because we realize who He is and that we are unworthy of His love. Yet we are exalted because we are brought close to Him in that humble state: “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” (Psalm 34:18)

God’s prophets foretell this grace will happen when Jesus comes the second time —in seeing Him, people will be broken and transformed:

“And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.” (Zechariah 12:10)

Brokenness isn’t the best feeling in the world. Having a contrite heart runs contrary to pride and that ‘self-confidence’ that is supposed to characterize ‘successful’ people. However, it is in this condition that God changes lives. The wisest man said, “Sorrow is better than laughter, for by sadness of face the heart is made glad.” (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I’ve not been fond of feeling broken or contrite, but I realize why these attitudes are necessary to faith. When I think I am important, or self-sufficient, or have merit in myself, I immediately stop trusting You and stop the process of being transformed into Your likeness. Being humble and sorry for my sin keeps me in the right attitude before You.


No comments: