August 18, 2017

Seeing the wonder . . .



Yesterday while scrolling through the channel selections, I found a program about the Hubble telescope. It was mostly videos of galaxies unseen by the naked eye, and I marveled. For me, these scenes confirm the power of Almighty God. They also confirm how insignificant earth and humanity are compared to the rest of what is out there.

Those who create the today’s news, and those who report it, need to take a tour and get a reality check. Some of them are so sure they can change things and make a mark for themselves. These vain ambitions are almost laughable, but mostly sad. Not only do they reveal tremendously inflated egos, they reveal hearts that have no interest in a power higher, wiser and incredibly more powerful than themselves.

This morning, I read this passage and noted all the things God does, particularly the equipping of people who do not know Him in relation to those who think they know everything . . .

“I am the Lord, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me, that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the Lord, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the Lord, who does all these things.
“Shower, O heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain down righteousness; let the earth open, that salvation and righteousness may bear fruit; let the earth cause them both to sprout; I the Lord have created it.
“Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or ‘Your work has no handles’? Woe to him who says to a father, ‘What are you begetting?’ or to a woman, ‘With what are you in labor?’
“Thus says the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, and the one who formed him: ‘Ask me of things to come; will you command me concerning my children and the work of my hands? I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host. I have stirred him up in righteousness, and I will make all his ways level; he shall build my city and set my exiles free, not for price or reward,’ says the Lord of hosts.” (Isaiah 45:5–13)

This reminds me of an old hymn with these lines: “Holy, holy, holy! Though the darkness hide Thee, though the eye of sinful man Thy glory may not see; only Thou are holy; there is none beside Thee, perfect in power, in love, and purity.”

What does the eye of sinful man see when gazing at space through the Hubble? I try to remember what I once thought when I looked at the stars before Christ came to me. Some wonder? Some awe? But I did not worship God or even consciously credit Him for the loveliness of the night sky. Now I know the love of God through faith in Christ Jesus and now, when I look at the sky, my heart is fills with worship and with a sense of His presence — both bring joy and peace to my heart. The horrors of today’s news (and yesterday’s) comes into perspective; God is sovereign. I do not understand why He allows some things, nor how He is involved in tragic situations, but I know He made the moon and stars and all that I can see and not see. He is still in charge of His universe, and is mercifully in charge of my life.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, God spoke and the universe came into existence. You are the Word of God, involved in that speaking and in this masterful creation. Even more incredible, You became one of us that we might know You and know the great power that is over all things. You are immense, Almighty, yet You graciously and tenderly love and take care of Your children. In my mind, I am so tiny, so nothing, but You know the number of the hairs on my head. Oh Lord, what a wonder You are!

No comments: