August 23, 2017

Peace in any situation



Several years ago, we lived in a house with a south-facing backyard and very good soil. My garden was amazing. However, that summer’s high temperatures often brought severe hail storms. I worried about losing that incredible crop of vegetables. Finally, I decided that this garden really belonged to God, not me. I prayed, “Lord, it is Yours. If You want to hail on it, that is up to You.

This prayer was without resentment or sarcasm. I meant it because I trusted God to do what was best. That garden was a faith test, one of many in my life.  

Today is a faith test for me and for my husband. He will have surgery on his face to remove a small cancer, or at least we hope it is small. As he says, he does not know how much face will be removed. After a couple restless nights of wrestling, He is trusting God and calm. Two days from now brings reconstructive surgery to replace and repair it. Today’s procedure happens in an office downtown in our city.

As for me, I am trusting God with his surgery, but also having a test about my own body. One of my cataract removals (June 12) resulted in a problem; vision in the left eye became blurry. Last week, I had one night of war about it, then remembered that my body belongs to God. Lord, this is Your eye and You can do whatever You want with it. No sarcasm or bargaining. I trust God to do what He wills.

Yesterday, my eye doctor told me another test would determine what is happening and what treatment might be needed. This eye test happens today also. It takes ten minutes and does not require an appointment — once my local eye doctor realized it needs to happen in the same downtown building as my hubby’s surgery! I can just walk in. Coincidence? I don’t think so. It is more like assurance from God who is sovereign.

I don’t know what will happen to either of us, but the Lord does not want us to fret about it. He arranged Sunday’s sermon to be on the same passage of Scripture as today’s devotional reading . . .

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” (Philippians 4:4–9)

God’s peace does surpass all understanding. For one thing, it shows up when least expected. The first time it happened to me was during days of severe back pain. I could hardly move. I prayed, not remembering my prayer now, but remembering how God flooded me with peace and joy. The pain did not go away, but His peace was so incredible that I didn’t think about my back at all.

Since then, I’ve noticed that this amazing sense of ‘all is well’ is not about circumstances but about surrender. Most people would advise those in pain or in other troubling situations to not give in, to fight it, to take charge. But Jesus says ‘yield’ and give it to Him. Every time I do that, His peace replaces my anxiety. Some Bible versions say this is ‘beyond comprehension’ — and it is.

The other thing that has happened this week is that I am truly enjoying what I can see and not whining about what I cannot see. Anyone who knows me would say that also “surpasses all understanding.” I can do ‘poor me’ with ease, but the Holy Spirit has given me a gratitude that surprises me and for which I am grateful. I am content without trying to be content. With or without good vision, I have Jesus and Jesus is enough.

^^^^^^^
Oh Lord Jesus Christ, You are enough. You promise to keep in perfect peace those who trust in You and You do keep that promise. I’m grateful that my hubby not only is trusting You but sharing his faith with the multitude of medical people involved in what he is experiencing. May You use that for Your glory. May You also use my situation to bring praise to Your Name. You are Lord over all; may that be known to those who need to realize it and to see Your power to bring peace to Your people! Amen.

No comments: