August 19, 2017

God speaks into human hearts . . .



“But mom, all my friends are going . . .”

Children quickly learn this argument, even though most parents see through it. However, children are not the only ones who try to get away with something by saying, “But everyone is doing it.” Even adults will go for the consent of the masses to make right (excuse) that which is forbidden. If enough people will say something is okay, then those who want to do it assume this consent not only gives them permission, but take away any guilt they feel for their actions.

How do I know people feel guilty when they do wrong? The New Testament speaks of those without God’s law by nature knowing what is right or wrong because it is written on their hearts. We do not need to teach children how to behave badly, yet they usually know that rebellious and selfish behavior is not right. They may not be able to express it, but everyone has a conscience and a sense of being guilty when they violate it.

Every few months I read Isaiah 52-54 to remind me of some wonderful truths. Today, in reading part of that passage, a section popped out that I don’t recall noticing before. The verses are about the coming Messiah, but it was the last line that stopped me:

“Behold, my servant shall act wisely; he shall be high and lifted up, and shall be exalted. As many were astonished at you— his appearance was so marred, beyond human semblance, and his form beyond that of the children of mankind— so shall he sprinkle many nations. Kings shall shut their mouths because of him, for that which has not been told them they see, and that which they have not heard they understand.” (Isaiah 52:13–15)

The Messiah’s horrid death and eventual exaltation will shut the mouth of kings because they will see and understand that which no one has told them!

How can that be? The NT is clear that God’s people are to take His good news to the nations. Faith in Christ is eternally vital, but how can they believe if they do not hear? People often say that it does not seem right or fair that God could condemn pagan peoples who have never heard about Christ. If guilt for sin is normal, then I should not be surprised that God can make truth known to kings . . . truth that no one else told them.

This is not an excuse to stay home when God says GO, nor a reason to assume God will do anything He has told me to do. But it is a comfort when I turn on the news and see hundreds and even thousands of people perish because of bad weather, wars, terrorist attacks, and all sorts of over seemingly senseless tragedies. In these, the Lord God is quite capable of having made Jesus known. In those sad events He may be taking some of His enlightened people home to glory.

I know what it took for God to open my eyes and heart to His truth, truth that no one had told me, or at least I cannot remember anyone telling me. But I did have a Bible. His Word did its work in my heart. When I pray for those who have not yet heard the Gospel, I sometimes become overwhelmed with fear and feeling helpless. I know the power of God yet hear the pleas of many pastors and missionaries calling for workers, but I’m not able to go, nor do I hear God telling me to go. Instead, He tells me to keep praying and doing whatever He gives me to do without being anxious — because He can touch the hearts of kings and anyone He wants. He can fill them with the knowledge of whatever He wants them to understand.

^^^^^^
Jesus, so often I’ve said You alone save us, then get in a panic over the millions who seem on their way to damnation without hearing about You. If You alone save, then You alone can reach out to anyone You want, and can bring truth to them in whatever way You decide. You might prompt the heart of someone to go to the ends of the earth with it, yet You can also prompt the message into human hearts even if no one tells it to them. I don’t ever want to take that for granted, but it does remind me to not fret or think that everything depends on human obedience. You are an amazing God, capable of doing Your will without any help and without any coaching. The odd thing is that knowing You can do it without me makes me more eager to work with You in the doing of it!


No comments: