August 30, 2017

Boasting? Not a good idea!



In our insecurities, we tend to compensate. While some make much of their inabilities (almost as if they are glorying in their shame) others boast in their human strengths, hoping to draw attention to something good about themselves. I’ve tried both, and neither works very well because both are products of pride. Instead, I’m supposed to be humble and rely on the strength of the Holy Spirit.

My areas of pride show up the most when I fall short in them. For instance, when I make any kind of error, I say to myself, “I’m so stupid.” This reveals that I value intelligence. To this, the Lord says . . . 

Thus says the LORD: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD.” (Jeremiah 9:23–24) 

God isn’t interested in my IQ, but He does care that I know Him and that I practice steadfast love, justice, and righteousness. To do that, I need to be filled with the Holy Spirit for He is the source of all those things. Besides, when anyone is operating in the love of God, they do not brag . . . “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant.” (1 Corinthians 13:4)  

Obviously, God’s love is never self-serving so if I become concerned about my insecurities, I’m not relying on God and have turned to my own interests. This I must confess and turn back to relying on the Lord to take care of whatever is worrying me.

Not only all that, boasting is often part of the slippery slope of all other sin. Thomas Manton said: “First we practice sin, then defend it, then boast of it. Sin is first our burden, then our custom, then our delight, then our excellency.” I don’t want to ever think that any sin is worth boasting about.
I cannot boast of my strengths either. God challenges me, “What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it? (1 Corinthians 4:7) All that I have is from God.  

I cannot boast about my plans: “Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.” (Proverbs 27:1)

And I certainly cannot boast that I am a Christian because I’ve not earned or deserved it: “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8–9)

I also need to watch out that I don’t boast that my way of doing things is better than the way of others. In the New Testament church, a group decided that everyone who claimed to be a Christian should be circumcised. They were convinced their way was right and those who went along with it prove the rightness of it. Paul refuted this sort of thinking:

“It is those who want to make a good showing in the flesh who would force you to be circumcised, and only in order that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ. For even those who are circumcised do not themselves keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may boast in your flesh. But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” (Galatians 6:12–14)

As I think of applying this to my own life, God reminds me of the times I’ve tried to convince people to do things the way I do them, things regarding Christian living, but also ordinary things like the best way to remove stains, or the best vitamins to take. Behind this attitude is that “I am right” pride, not God’s genuine love that never boasts.

Is boasting ever okay? As Paul said, “Far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” (Galatians 6:14)

He also knew where his power for daily life came from and how it came — through weakness, for God convinced him that weakness was not only okay but necessary: “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

Paul’s conclusion? “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)

My problem with this reality is that pride does not like being weak or even feeling weak. However, being weak and depending on Christ almost always means I feel the weakness, not the power. Others may see it, but I don’t, and I’d rather I did! That said, it makes sense that God lets me feel helpless because He knows it does not take much for me to start boasting and slide down that slippery slope.

^^^^^^^
Jesus, You are sinless and yet You do not brag about it. That alone ought to be enough to keep me from boasting. However, You speak often to humble me and put me on the right path. You also send trials and put me in circumstances that are far beyond any skill or ability that I might boast about, teaching me to rely on You, to appreciate weakness, even to be glad it is there. 


No comments: