August 17, 2017

A warning about interpretation!



I know the Greek alphabet, a few words and how to use a Greek dictionary. However, as one theologian said, I know just enough to be dangerous! That is true, but it is enough to help me be wary of how words are used in translation and to check out any interpretation that looks like a mistake, or changes the focus of a passage, or counters generally accepted doctrine.

For instance, one cult claims that John 1:1 says Jesus was ‘a’ god, inserting the article just at the end of the verse in their version of the Bible. My Bible says: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (John 1:1)

That cult does not think Jesus is God so they changed the verse to suit their idea. What they did not consider is there is no indefinite article in Greek. Their ‘a’ cannot be inserted because Greek does not have an ‘a.’ It simply does not exist.

Today’s devotional makes less serious interpretational error. The author uses a translation that ignores the Greek words. He also pulled a verse out of context and used it to say what it does not say. The passage is:

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.” (2 Corinthians 5:17–19)

The devotional says the portion I’ve italicized says: “All things are from God.” While this is true, this is not the verse to use for that.

Interpretation also needs to consider the context. In this brief passage, God is saying that if a person is in Christ, he can say NO to his old life and welcome has new life. This remarkable transformation is from God. He reconciles believers to Himself, not counting our sins against us, and entrusts us to take that wonderful message to others. Even though all things are from God, this verse is talking about a particular thing: regeneration —new life from God in Christ — and what we are supposed to do with it.

God reminds me of two important applications. The first is obvious: watch how I interpret what the Bible says. I’m not to use parts of it to support my ideas if that part does not directly refer to those ideas. I’m not to take verses or phrases out of context, either the context of immediate verse, or the chapter, or the book, or the entire Bible. If I do not understand it in its context, I should not take a guess, but pray for clarity and do further study. All this is easy to say, but I know the difficulty of doing it. This is an important warning.

The second application is that I am a new creature. My old life is “passed out of use” and in Christ I have a new life. I never need to think, talk, or act as I once did. I can do all things through Christ who gave me His life, His very self so that I am now forgiven and reconciled to God. I’m supposed to tell others about Jesus that they might experience the same thing!

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You know how badly people need that transformation that only You can make. I spend time with some of them, so keep me mindful of this ministry to which You have entrusted me. Keep my ears open to Your Spirit so I will know when and if I should open my mouth. Fill me with good thoughts, wise words and gracious behavior. May that new life that comes from You shine in my life today!

No comments: