February 5, 2017

Family



Not only did our daughter surprise me by flying up here for my birthday, our two sons came also. We had a grand time with lots of laughter, sharing and thanksgiving. They pooled their resources and bought me a significant gift. I feel as if dropped into another world. Nice.

Another surprise is today’s devotional. It is about ministering to your children and starts off with a verse about the father of faith, Abraham . . .

“For I have chosen him, that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice, so that the Lord may bring to Abraham what he has promised him.” (Genesis 18:19)

I did not become a Christian as a child nor was my father a man of faith until he was very old. Teaching my kids about the Lord was spotty and I’ve regrets that I didn’t know what to do or how to do it. These verses, again from today’s devotional reading, are a comfort to me . . .

“Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep. Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.” (Psalm 127:1–5)

This weekend, I feel rewarded. Our kids do not often talk about God so we are not total assured of where they stand, but these verses make it clear that God is in charge and that parents often err in trying to push their children into a profession of faith before their hearts are renewed by the grace of God.

Jesus Christ is the Savior and calls people to Himself when He will. I cannot, not can I decide the proper time for that. I have known for years that it is far better to wait on God to do His work of grace than insist it should happen when I want it to happen.

My family and others that I pray for know the gospel. My role is to pray for them and seek God’s grace for them. Of course I am to be an example of faith and how to live by faith, but also to be transparent. No one can see Jesus through a hypocrite or in someone that puts on a façade of spirituality. I must be real.

Jesus, we wait on You to build into the lives of those we love the most and those we pray for every day. We know that You are in charge of them and of us and we can count on Your will to be done — in Your time and in the ways that You alone know are best. Thank You for the love and laughter we enjoy as a family and for Your goodness in our lives. We bless You from the bottom of our hearts.


No comments: