January 17, 2017

Eternal Freedom



God who revealed Himself as the “I AM” sent Moses to His people in bondage. He commanded Pharaoh, “Let my people go.”

God who revealed Himself in human flesh sent Jesus the Son to a world in bondage. When He was arrested to be put to death, He commanded His captors, “I told you that I am He. So, if you seek me, let these men go.” (John 18:8)

This reveals two amazing truths. One is that even as He faced torture and death, His great love moved Him to think more about His followers than Himself. The following verses give a few examples of bad things that could happen to me, yet God would still love me . . .

“Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?  . . . For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:35–39)

Nothing can stop Jesus from loving me. Even as He was nailed to the cross, He said, “Father, forgive them . . . .”

The second truth about “Let my people go” is framed in these words . . .

“This is a beautiful picture of our great Substitute in his work of redemption. The Good Shepherd lays down his life for his sheep, but the condition is this: those sheep for whom he died must therefore go free.” (Donald Fortner)

Just as Moses led God’s people out of slavery in Egypt, Jesus brought His people out of the slavery of sin, the bondage of Satan, and out from under the curse of the law. On the basis of the ransom that He paid with His life, He said, ‘Let these people live; I have paid the price.’
“The righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ (is) for all who believe. For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith . . . .” (Romans 3:22–25)
Jesus, because of You and Your great love I will never experience the wrath of God, never know the judgment that I deserve. Because of You, the enemy no longer has a hold on me. Because of You, my sin is forgiven, cast into the sea, removed as far as the east is from the west. Because of You, I am delivered from bondage. As You said in John 8:36, “If the Son sets (me) free, (I) am free indeed!” My Lord and God, thank You for Your incredible love.


No comments: