November 7, 2016

No coincidences, becoming like Jesus, and intercession



For those who doubt that God has a sense of humor, read the last line of yesterday’s post and then read this opening from today’s devotional reading by Oswald Chambers: The circumstances of a saint’s life are ordained of God. In the life of a saint there is no such thing as chance.”

As I laughed and kept reading, again God surprised me. My hubby and I are in a situation where we need to intercede for our daughter. Chambers says, “God is bringing you into places and among people and into conditions in order that the intercession of the Spirit in you may take a particular line.”

Lest I ramble on about the amazing and often amusing ‘coincidences’ of God, this one takes a more serious note in the light of today’s Scripture:

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:28–29)

These verses were impressed upon me as a baby Christian. God made it clear that all that happens to me is designed by Him to shape me into the image of Jesus Christ. Not only is that a lofty and marvelous goal, it makes sense of life. When God says “all things” He means just that. The good, the bad, the mysterious, and everything else are His opportunities for that purpose.

Chambers says that this ‘everything’ includes situations in the lives of those around me. God brings me into relationships and experiences with others for the same reason. He intends that I am like Christ to the people who need Him. His love and grace may be shown in words, prayers, or actions, yet I need the discernment of the Holy Spirit to know what I must do. Do I pray and say nothing? Do I speak? Do I speak softly, or with louder enthusiasm? Am I to be stern as Jesus sometimes is, or do I use humor as God often does?

Chambers ends with a thought-provoking word: “Your intercessions can never be mine, and my intercessions can never be yours, but the Holy Ghost makes intercession in our particular lives, without which intercession someone will be impoverished.”

While I might not cause someone to be impoverished (not everything is my fault), God has give me the power of the Holy Spirit and the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ that I might be to others an encouragement in their journey, a refreshing place in their struggles.

Today’s Word and Chambers words are spot on what I needed to hear. Yeah, God.

Notes: 
Thankfully, God used today’s circumstances for His purposes in our lives.

He will also influence USA voters tomorrow to put in place the person He wants for the purposes He plans. I’m Canadian so cannot vote in the US, but I do urge Americans to listen for the Lord’s leading and vote. Above all, pray for those in leadership. God listens and He also can turn like a river the hearts of kings!


1 comment:

Darrell said...

Dear Lord, thank you for reminding me that you are behind the circumstances I find myself in and the people I find myself with in ths very day. None of this is by accident but “these circumstances” and “these people” are your special prayer list for me for today. I am to bring that which you put in my path this day and to bring it before Your Throne and to let the Holy Spirit intercede in ways I cannot and about things I know not of. May I be faithful to this task even this day.” In Jesus Name, Amen