October 29, 2016

Truth sparkles like a diamond



When I became a Christian, my first thoughts were that Jesus Christ is God in human flesh. My brother was saved when he realized that God created the world and all that is in it. My husband was saved when God made known to him that he was a sinner in need of forgiveness. My friend Donna was saved when she heard an illustration that showed her she could never be good enough to earn the grace of God; it was hers as a gift.

Whatever way anyone becomes a child of God and enters the kingdom of God, it is because the Lord speaks to people words that they specifically need to hear. It is only later that we begin to understand the gospel message in a fuller sense. This does not mean our initial understanding is an error, only that it is just part of the story.

For that reason, I hesitate to pick out one aspect of this good news and focus on it. The essential message is simple: God created humanity. We all fall short because of sin. God sent Jesus to die for our sin and redeem us for Himself. One day Jesus will return and reign. Even these truths can be expressed in different ways!

Chambers picks one verse to emphasize in most of his devotional readings. For today, he selected one that I call ‘the great exchange’ for it tells how Jesus took upon himself what was true about me and gave me what was true about Him . . .

For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (2 Corinthians 5:21)

This verse explains that my sin was removed because of Christ’s obedience, but not only my sin but the sin of the entire world. Jesus became sin for all so that all might have the righteousness of God, a great gift that must be received. Sinners do not have to live with guilt and shame for the Lord Jesus Christ bore it all. This is the good news.

Jesus came so we could know and understand God, but even more; so we could have a saving relationship with Him through faith. This also is the good news.

Jesus came so we could abide in Him and bear eternal fruit, all because He lives in us and changes our lives. This is the good news too.

Like a many faceted diamond, God is shining the good news into the hearts of those who are being saved. He gives His people the glorious task of sharing this good news in various ways, according to however the Holy Spirit prompts us to share it. He knows each heart. For that reason, I dare not get stuck on a ‘formula’ for telling others the truth from God without first listening to what He wants me to say.


1 comment:

Darrell said...

“We are acceptable with God not because we have obeyed, or because we have promised to give up things, but because of the death of Christ, and in no other way.” – Chambers

Holy Spirit, I thank You, that You do make this known. Anything less than this, would keep us confined hopelessly and helplessly, to the grave. But Your Cross—Your Resurrection alone, has set me free! My life is frustrated and destructive when I look to myself, and my own efforts to rectify this hopeless situation of sin. Thank You, Jesus for doing that, which we could never do for ourselves. What else is there for me to give, but my all to You? What else is there for me to do, but to live passionately in righteousness of You?