May 31, 2015

Building for God’s glory . . .



1 Chronicles 28:1–29:2, 2 Timothy 4:9–22, Psalm 90:1–17, Matthew 28:20

One of my OT professors was so focused on Christ that he could see shadows of Him throughout the OT. Because of that class, I also make far more connections from the OT to the NT and to the person and work of Jesus Christ. For instance, in the passing of the kingdom from David to Solomon, I see David as a shadow of Christ and Solomon as a shadow of the church, only because of how the king instructed his son.

David said to Solomon when he was ready to depart this earth, “Be strong and courageous and do it. Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed, for the Lord God, even my God, is with you. He will not leave you or forsake you, until all the work for the service of the house of the Lord is finished.” (1 Chronicles 28:20)

Jesus said to His disciples much the same thing just before He left this earth. He gave the work of making disciples to His followers then said, “And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)

Then David the king said to all the assembly, “Solomon my son, whom alone God has chosen, is young and inexperienced, and the work is great, for the palace will not be for man but for the Lord God. So I have provided for the house of my God, so far as I was able, the gold for the things of gold, the silver for the things of silver, and the bronze for the things of bronze, the iron for the things of iron, and wood for the things of wood, besides great quantities of onyx and stones for setting, antimony, colored stones, all sorts of precious stones and marble.” (1 Chronicles 29:1–2)

In the NT, King Jesus tells His people to continue building the new temple where He dwells now — in each person who believes in Him. To do that, we are told that: “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.” (2 Peter 1:3–4)

Just as David supplied the materials for that first temple that his son would build, Jesus Christ supplies all that is needed for His children to be His temple!

Builders of His kingdom sounds like a glorious and rewarding work, yet this can be difficult and lonely. Paul had amazing success, yet at times he felt alone and abandoned . . .

“At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them! But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.” (2 Timothy 4:16–18)

The work of being a Christian and taking part as co-workers in building His kingdom is not easy. Like the psalmist, I’ve prayed this way, “Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children. Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands!” (Psalm 90:16–17)


No comments: