December 6, 2014

His mind . . . ministers to my mind


Psalm 23 is a favorite of many, yet for me, Psalm 27 fills my mind with beautiful memories.

“The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” reminds me of the days when I realized many of my problems could be traced to a fear of people. I was afraid of rejection, afraid of being hurt, afraid of being laughed at, but God showed me this verse again and again until it became part of the way I thought about Him and about people.

As Psalm 27:1 released me from much fear, verse 5 backed it up: “For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock.” These wonderful images became a reality and helped me be more courageous.

Then, and not many years ago, I read an amazing book that showed me how ADHD was formed and how it had affected me, even producing my tendency to be fearful of rejection. The author revealed the importance of eye contact in a young child’s life and if it was missing for whatever reason, those children had ADHD issues. While not as severe as some, God showed me the need to overcome this by seeking His face. For this, verses 8 to 10 became a long-term blessing to my ‘scattered’ mind . . .

“You have said, ‘Seek my face.’ My heart says to you, ‘Your face, Lord, do I seek.’ Hide not your face from me. Turn not your servant away in anger, O you who have been my help. Cast me not off; forsake me not, O God of my salvation! For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in.”

Before coming to this victory, I’d already had the help of the last few verses to carry me through a terrible situation. At that time, my life was like a roller coaster and I felt as if I would die before it would change. I cried out to God with words like these, “Teach me your way, O Lord, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. Give me not up to the will of my adversaries . . .” and He increased my faith. Eventually I could say, “I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!”

As I read these verses now and think about the mind of Christ, another image pops into my head. A person’s mind is like any other living thing . . .  it thrives when properly fed. Feeding on the Word of God nurtures the Spirit who lives within and as I become increasingly aware of Him and His power, I am also nourished and sustained.

It is little wonder that the psalms have been a blessing to God’s people for many hundreds of years. As God hides me, lifts me, invites me to seek Him, takes me in, teaches me, and increases my faith, I am stronger, more courageous, and more able to be patient with Him and with life. Praise His name, and His power to speak to the needs of His people.


No comments: