October 31, 2014

Kept in spiritual danger


This focus on ‘spiritual danger’ has informed and helped me be more alert. It has also affirmed how the Lord Jesus Christ is the firm foundation on which I stand. I may face dangers and any failure is my fault not His, but failure is temporary. Because He is my Savior, He undergirds and rescues me. Nothing can stop Him from fulfilling His purposes.

Jesus is God’s firm foundation. He knows those who are His, (2 Timothy 2:19) and even though we may suffer, He stands with us. He invites me to, “Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops” then adds a promise . . .  “Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything” (2 Timothy 2:3–7).

He calls me to “be watchful, stand firm in the faith . . .” and let all that I do be done in love (1 Corinthians 16:13–14). But also to stay out of trouble, work hard, and think! As I do, He will help me understand what is happening and take care of the results.

Knowing about the dangers does not mean I will escape attacks to my faith, even attacks to my person. God also says, “All who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted . . .” However, He gave me the weapon and the support that I need in His very words “which are able to make me wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.” This is because “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:12–17) the Bible is my equipment and equips me for life.

My spiritual life is grounded on the Living Word of God and the written Word; I cannot lay a better or another foundation other than that. (1 Corinthians 3:11) I will trip and fall, have ups and downs, even be fooled now and then, but “the God of peace Himself will sanctify me completely, and my whole spirit and soul and body will be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls me is faithful; He will surely do it.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23–24, personalized)

Spiritual danger can try as it might, but I am kept from eternal damage and damnation by the power and grace of God, and also protected in the here and now by the same God who loves me, died for me, and now lives for me.

No comments: