March 30, 2014

Communion moments . . .


John Wallace advises that whenever my mind has nothing to fix itself on, drop my heart in prayer and use those moments to commune with God.

I don’t know what others do with those moments of nothing particular to think about. I know my imagination can wander, or I can worry, or allow negative thoughts. Wallace gives sound advice and those who follow it can have hearts that are “moving shrines” where God is continually worshiped and loved. Further, there is a sense of being at home with God and therefore never alone.

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. (Psalm 62:5–7)

Each year, I select a theme verse. The one that has made the biggest impact on me is Psalm 27:8, “You have said, ‘Seek my face.’ My heart says to you, ‘Your face, Lord, do I seek.’” In seeking the face of God, my heart reaches for Him and wins a lovely sense of His presence. Yes, I know He is always with me, yet these are occasions when I’m much more aware, much more in communion with Him.

The NT author of Hebrews gives similar advice as Wallace. He says to think about all that have been faithful witnesses to the glory of God and to be “looking to Jesus” . . .  

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. (Hebrews 12:1–3)

This focus has an effect, for human beings tend to become more like what we look at, what we focus on. While this fact can be distressing as young people imitate their idols, it is even humorous to see couples begin to look alike. In the early church, the people knew the disciples “had been with Jesus” no doubt because their faces reflected His.

Oh the wonder that Jesus lives in me. I “have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (John 1:14) because “God said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ and has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.” (2 Corinthians 4:6–7)

Today is Sunday, corporate worship. As Christians come together to seek the face of God, how blessed of Him to give me these thoughts at the beginning of this day.



No comments: