November 20, 2013

Hiding in the Rock


The hyrax or rock badger is unfamiliar so I looked it up. This furry little creature is unlike other animals and placed in a separate order (Hyracoidea). Through a remote ancestor, it is related to sea cows and elephants, with all three sharing physiological similarities despite their sizes.

Rock badgers are basically defenseless from leopards, pythons, large birds, and smaller wild cats. They can bite, but their best defense is escaping to hiding places among the rocks.

The rock badgers are a people not mighty, yet they make their homes in the cliffs (Proverbs 30:26) and The high mountains are for the wild goats; the rocks are a refuge for the rock badgers. (Psalm 104:18)

Rock badgers are smart enough to realize not to fight something bigger than they are. Instead, they flee to burrows in the rocks where they are secure from their enemies. I could learn a lesson from these furry little creatures. I am as weak and as exposed to danger as this timid critter and should be as wise to run for cover too.

My best security is the Rock, my strong tower and hiding place, Jesus Christ. His promises are like the giant walls of rock with nooks and crannies made to protect these small creatures. I can hide myself in Him where my safety is guaranteed, but sometimes I am not as quick to do so as I should be.

The psalms are filled with accounts of God’s people escaping their enemies by fleeing to God, to the Rock that is higher. They relate the blessedness of those who puts their trust in the Lord.

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (Psalm 18:2)
Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily! Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me! (Psalm 31:2)
On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. (Psalm 62:7)

Long ago, Satan and my sins overwhelmed me. God showed me that my only safe place was in the cleft of the rock, Jesus Christ. He is my hiding place, my place of safety to this day. He understands my fears and consoles my shaking emotions. He helps me understand His love for me.

No defenseless critter can be more secure than one hidden in a rocky burrow. In Jesus, my spiritual Rock, the weak are strong and the defenseless safe. Today’s devotional reading says that faith on earth gives me the protection of God in heaven.

Sometimes in my foolish human confidence, I dash out of cover soon to realize that I am not safe apart from my Almighty Refuge. I cannot do anything to keep myself secure when I neglect or forsake the keeping power of God. But like the nature of a mighty rock, He is always near, always offering His protection . . . 

Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy. Let me dwell in your tent forever! Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings! Selah. For you, O God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name. (Psalm 61:1–5)


No comments: