May 25, 2013

A divine invitation to breakfast


Some people do not eat breakfast. For millions around the world, it is because they have no food. For many in North America, it is because they do not have the time. Sleep in, rise up, rush out becomes a daily schedule. I have no sermons about the importance of breakfast, but just know what happens to me if I am not fueled for the day, both physically and spiritually.

After Jesus’ resurrection, the disciples went fishing, caught nothing, then were directed by Him to try the other side of the boat. He’d been waiting on the shore for them, and even before they hauled in their catch, he’d kindled a fire and cooked some fish. Then He said to them, “Come and have breakfast.” (John 21:12)

Today’s devotional touches my heart. The bombardment against my soul has felt like the waves of a violent sea, but at last the waters are calm and I am ready to do something else besides fight against the enemy who has been trying to drown me. So what does Jesus do now that the buffeting has stopped and my heart is also calm? He invites me to eat with Him!

In a parable about another meal, the host in Jesus’ story sent out a servant to tell his guests, “Come, for everything is now ready.” (Luke 14:17) The last words in the Bible offer the same invitation. The meal is ready.

The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. (Revelation 22:17)

Jesus also says, “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever…” (John 6:51) showing that this is more than food but also a spiritual feast, a sharing in His life.

I get the message; Jesus is telling me to feast on Him, on the eternal  life that He gives, the fruit of the Spirit that He supplies, the everlasting life that is mine because the Bread of Life offers all that He is for all of my needs.

There is significance in that this post-resurrection meal is breakfast. According to God’s Word, days are not reckoned the same as we reckon them. We know the changeover is at midnight, but usually consider a day begins around daybreak. However, in Genesis 1, the Bible repeats, “And there was evening and there was morning, the… day.”

In the mind of God, day begins with darkness and ends with light. How true of life and of the cycles of life for those who walk with Him. I enter spells of doubt, failure and disappointment , sorrow over my failures, pain over ministry without victory, and then, as I hear the Master calling out directions from shore, and as I follow His commands, the light rises in the east. Daybreak comes and the shadows of the night are driven away.

Not only does a fresh look at Jesus turn my eyes from that dark night of struggle to His light, but He also brings a feast to fill the empty spaces created by the darkness. He invites me to enjoy “Living Bread” in the dawn, not of a new day, but of one that has been dark and stormy but transformed by His presence. He lovingly prepared to feed my hunger while it was still dark, and as the light came, so also is His invitation to “Come and dine.”



No comments: