April 19, 2013

His anchor holds, so hang on tight!


During this week of bombs and explosions, many have experienced deep and fiery trouble. No doubt some are clinging to God as their anchor, an anchor that holds them through this storm. Who else can be trusted on such dark and difficult days? His grace and promises are like great ships built to withstand the most vicious storms. Christians who can yield to the will of God in patience and without fear or complaining are witness to His stabilizing power and goodness, even in the worst experiences of life.
Who among you fears the Lord and obeys the voice of his servant (Jesus)? Let him who walks in darkness and has no light trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God. (Isaiah 50:10)

Not all trials are as extreme or visible at those replayed on the news. Sometimes my tests are visible only to me, taking the form of distractions and temptations that seem determined to pull me away from obedience and keep me from praising God, from being thankful, from trusting and praying to Him. Physical violence is one darkness, but spiritual warfare is also a darkness. When the devil throws his lies at me, I need to cling to God and remember His promises. Christians in Boston and Texas need to remember that ‘this too shall pass.’ I also need to remember that the struggles I face are for a short time only. It will not stay dark.

In trials, it sometimes feels as if God is not happy with me. I’m sure those who have lost limbs or loved ones have cried out or thought, “What did I do to deserve this?” In tears and struggles, the children of God must remember that life will not remain this way.

For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. (Psalm 30:5)

As a small example, my chores sometimes overwhelm me. The solution is always to “do the next thing.” This also is part of the solution for walking through any trial, physical or spiritual. Take one step at a time. Like walking a dark path with a flashlight, each step shines light to see the next step. The reality of Christ being with us carries us along, helping us with the next step. I must agree with the author of this rhyme…

I would rather walk with Christ in the dark
Than to walk alone in the light.
I would rather walk with him by faith
Than to walk by myself with sight.

God makes promises for His people. He says, “I know the plans I have for you, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11). In my struggles, I must cling to Jesus Christ with unhesitating trust and anchor myself in His promises remembering that His mercy endures forever. This too shall pass and I can say…

The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands. (Psalm 138:8)


No comments: