January 18, 2013

That Last Move


Yesterday’ devotional made me think of our many moves and then that final move from this earth to heaven. Today, the devotional is about that final destination and the changes that being there will bring.
In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. (John 14:2–3)

Because I tend to think in the “right now” rather than the past, and because we have moved more than two dozen times, I don’t remember much about the old times. The friends and faces and places are blurry. Yet even what I do remember is sweet, not the trials of each place so much as the good things and happy times. This faculty has always made moving a bit easier for me because I know there will be good things ahead, good things to remember even when we move on.

How much more is this true concerning that final move. I have the promise of Jesus Christ that my final destination will be large, prepared by the Lord Jesus Himself. He will be there to welcome me into this new and perfect home where I will be with Him forever.

Even with good memories, life on each home here has not always been rosy, not even life as a Christian. I’ve had times of hopelessness, occasions where it seemed I was guilty and not forgiven, or had a deep unrest and the sense that God has gone from me (even though He says not). Like the disciples, I’ve been close to Jesus, then scattered. My faith has gone up and down and my assurance along with it. Prayers are answered, but many are not. The enemy buffets me with lies, accusations and temptations. Add to that the frequent physical changes in location, health, activity and I can say what a friend used to say (with a smile), “Oh for the peace of the grave.”

Jesus promises permanence. The place He is preparing will have none of that unrest and change that characterizes life here. Besides, it will surely carry forward many of the good things from this life, like love, joy and peace, improving on them and making them secure. There my faith will never waver. I will not battle sin and doubt. All questions will be answered, all stresses will be gone.

Each time we have moved, I’ve had the anticipation of newness, a fresh start. While I know heaven will be that and more, when I simply think about it, it seems strange. That place being prepared will be so different from all that I know here, so utterly incredible. 

Yet right now, heaven is for faith, not sight. It is about trusting the One who promised it, not about figuring it out by logic or science. He says it is large with many rooms, and prepared by His hand. But is heaven a state? Or a place? Surely it is both, but more than both. What I do know for sure is that heaven is being with Christ forever.

No comments: