December 31, 2012

My anchor holds


Anchors normally connect boats or ships to the bottom of a body of water to prevent them from drifting due to wind or current. They can be temporary or permanent, such as a mooring that is heavy and rarely moved. Anchors have holding power because they either hook into the seabed, or are very heavy, or both. Also, a sea anchor or drogue is not in contact with the seabed yet may control a drifting vessel.

The Bible uses the term “anchor” to describe the power of our hope in Christ to stabilize our souls.


So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf…. (Hebrews 6:17–20)


As I read the descriptions of literal anchors, other symbolism came to mind. For instance, everyone looks for an anchor when life tosses us about like a cork on the water. We want something to hold on to or keep us stable.

We also drift from our goals without some sort of mooring to hold us against the pressures of distractions and life events that threaten us. Some of our moorings are weighty and able to keep us in one place a long time, but that may be a hindrance, not a benefit. Other anchors may or may not do the job because they are not connected to anything that is stable.

God gives me stability. His promises are guaranteed because He is faithful and does not lie. Not only that, all that threatens me has also threatened Jesus. Yet no matter what endangered Him, He remained anchored, secure in love and obedience, secure in the will of God. Since He lives in me, I have the same anchor, His same power to remain anchored to the promises of God.

Looking back over the past year, I recall more storms than calm waters, more waves than placid moorings. Yet in all of it, God provided an anchor --- Himself. His grace and faithfulness is my anchor.


O Lord, you will not restrain your mercy from me; your steadfast love and your faithfulness will ever preserve me! (Psalm 40:11) Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands. (Psalm 63:3–4)

No comments: