November 15, 2012

Serving Christ who lives in me



My sister and I are driving two hours today to set up a booth at a craft fair. As we were looking at our Bibles this morning, she said that when Christians do anything to serve the Lord, there is no reason for us to be praised or take credit, for it is not us who do the service, but Christ who lives in us.

Then I opened my devotional reading for today and this is the verse that it highlights.

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)

I almost feel God hugging me and saying, “Isn’t this a good word for you today!” It is so good that He has already given it to me two times. Do I sense a test coming?

The devotional writer says this is the wonder of life in Jesus Christ. Because He lives in me I don’t have to wonder what to do whenever there are opportunities to serve Him or when difficult situations happen. He is here with me. He wants me to listen to Him, not my own selfish ideas. That is part of what it means to be crucified with Him. When I listen, I know what to do; no hesitation involved.

I’ve noticed that this instinctive knowledge increases the more I read His Word and think about what I have read. The Bible not only nourishes my soul; it gives Jesus the vocabulary He uses to speak to me. 

Putting aside my old life is also important. It has no value for it is dead to God. Being free from my own demands also increases my ability to quickly grasp what He is saying to me. There ought to be no need to ponder what Jesus would do. Because He lives in me, and because He is teaching me the reality of my own death to self, I should hesitate less and less. 

Of course, now that I’ve said that, this weekend of doing something new and unusual will be a venue to test out how well I listen!


No comments: