November 16, 2012

God is my eternal dwelling place



Yesterday was filled with delights, talking about the Lord with my sister as we drove and discovering God in several unexpected places. And why not? God is ever-present, always dwelling with us. However, today’s Scripture speaks of Him also being our dwelling place.
Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. (Psalm 90:1–2)
Here, the words “dwelling place” refer to a refuge, a hiding place, a retreat for the people of God. He is our strong tower, the One to whom we can run when danger threatens or when we are exhausted and need His grace and help. Many times I don’t know what I would do or how I could survive without this eternal place of refuge.

Also, He has always been here, before I was born, even before the creation of the world. God is eternal, an eternal, everlasting place for me to live. As I try to grasp that reality, my heart is filled with wonder. How can God be this? Even more amazing --- why does He care to surround His people with His eternal love and protection?

Surely we do not earn or deserve it. There is nothing in me that merits the goodness and grace of God. I’m convinced that He is my eternal dwelling place because that is who He IS; having nothing to do with me, except that I am on the receiving end.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound – that saved a wretch like me – You are my Hiding place. You always fill my heart with songs of deliverance. Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You, I will trust in You. Let the weak say I am strong in the strength of the Lord; I will trust in You whenever I am afraid…because You are my dwelling place!


No comments: