October 24, 2012

Shining for God’s glory



My husband’s spiritual gift is administration. While he does not seek places of leadership, he often winds up there. At one meeting after this happened, I was speaking with a person who had never met him before. When I mentioned that he was usually asked to chair meetings or be the leader, she said, “That is because he is so good at it.”

Any spiritual gift, any quality or grace from God, is supposed to be obvious.

You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:14–16)

Sinful human characteristics can be hidden. Con men do it all the time. Whether someone is deceptive or shy, people build layers to keep others from seeing their true nature and intent. For Christians who have Jesus living inside, we are supposed to put off all of “self” and let others see Him, the Light of the world. He has opened our hearts to truth, the love of God and spiritual realities that others cannot see. He tells us to make this light visible, not so we are put on a pedestal, but so God is glorified. 

Jesus demonstrated this goodness and the light of godliness when He forgave a cripple and healed him.

But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins”—he then said to the paralytic—“Rise, pick up your bed and go home.” And he rose and went home. When the crowds saw it, they were afraid, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to men. (Matthew 9:6–8)

Letting my light shine does not mean I will do miracles or have the authority to forgive sins. Jesus said to “let your light shine” meaning light that God has given me. This is not about being “holier than thou” but about virtue and goodness that flows from submitting to the One who lives in me.

For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God. By their approval of this service, they will glorify God because of your submission that comes from your confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others, while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you. (2 Corinthians 9:12–14)

Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation. (1 Peter 2:12)

This is also not about special occasions. I cannot make excuses that I’m only a housewife, not a pastor or church leader or given special opportunities to share the light that I have, therefore I’m exempt. One of the reasons that God has me writing this blog is that He shows me how faith is practical. It is for daily life that I rely on Jesus, not only the big events, but every event. This means letting my light shine all the time, for the Word of the Lord also says…

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Today appears to be a very ordinary day. I’ve no idea how I can let my light shine, but again, the key word is “let” which means that I have light that God has given me, and I simply must put aside anything that would hinder it (such as having my own way) and let it shine.

No comments: