July 26, 2012

Daily Manna

As I review some of my forty years of recorded devotional thoughts, I’m blessed all over again in the reading of them, but somewhat dismayed at the repetition. God teaches me something and I am determined to live by it, but in a few days, weeks, or months, I am given the same lesson. Often, my written response is as if I’d never heard this truth before.
 
However, God takes my mind to the experience of Israel when He took them out of Egypt. They wandered in the wilderness for forty years, relying on manna for their daily food. This God-sent sustenance needed to be gathered each day. They could not keep the previous day’s supply or gather enough for two days (except the day before the Sabbath). 

Their experience, and my own, reassures me that learning from God is a daily thing. It is much like eating. Many meals are different from the day before, yet repeating a recipe is not uncommon. The goal is daily nourishment, gleaning what I need for that day. Duplicating a meal from God’s Word can mean that I need to hear and remember the lesson of it again, not that I’ve been a poor learner, but that life’s challenges are also often repeated.

This morning, God tells me to keep on in this process, reminding me that the goal is my own growth, but also His glory:
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. (2 Peter 3:18)
This process will be my portion the rest of my days. The Apostle Paul, when well into his ministry and seemingly mature in his faith, thought that he had not yet made it:
Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13–14)
Paul knew he was not there yet. He had to press on, growing in grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ and giving Him glory. If Paul felt that way about his progress, I surely must think the same about my growth. Keep on keeping on, eyes on the Lord and feasting on whatever He gives me as my portion for each day.


Lord, many times You reveal truth I’d never noticed before, even from familiar verses. Sometimes You repeat a previous understanding, putting it deeper into my heart. Forgive me for my dismay at the repetition. I must need it or You would give me something else. Today, may I focus on pressing on, learning of You and Your grace and giving You glory for all that You do.

No comments: