April 13, 2012

The Light in my life

People with Seasonal Affected Disorder will not enjoy today. The skies are dull as they gently drizzle the first spring rain. Dry and dusty streets perk up and the yard eagerly drinks, but I’m turning on lights that would not be needed on normal days. 

SAD has never bothered me, but even if it did, there is another kind of darkness that is much worse, but a darkness from which I have also been delivered. This darkness is spiritual, a darkness describing as the condition of those who do not know or walk with Jesus Christ who declared Himself the Light of the world.
Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life… (John 8:12) I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. (John 12:46)
I didn’t get out of this darkness myself, but I do remember the day it happened. I was sitting in my living room reading a book. This book had a verse from the Bible in it, and as I read that verse, the room seemed to be filled with light. At that moment, Jesus Christ came into my life. I know this is not the way everyone becomes a Christian, but for me, being turned from darkness to light was a vivid experience.
(God) has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son (Colossians 1:13) For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:6)
At that moment, Christ delivered me from “darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God” and I received “forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith” in Christ. (Acts 26:17–18) This powerful event showed me the reality of God’s power. Even as a candle in a dark room forces darkness to dissipate, the light of God drives the darkness of sin from the human heart. As John wrote, “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” (John 1:5) For me, this light changed my life forever.

Now, as a believer in Jesus Christ, I am responsible to walk in the light God has given me. Scripture associates lies from Satan and any sin in response to those lies as “the works of darkness” and tells me to not go there. Instead I am to expose all darkness with His light.
Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not become partners with them; for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret. But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” (Ephesians 5:6–14)
I cannot be in right relationship to God and at the same time walk in darkness. However, since He has given me the Light of life in Jesus Christ, I am no longer overcome by darkness. What an amazing wonder that Jesus shines on me! This is a powerful truth, one that others need to hear.
This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. (1 John 1:5–7)
Just as SAD makes some people sad and depressed, darkness also robs people of joy and the freedom they could know by having light in their lives. This light is available, not by trying to turn it on ourselves, but by receiving it from God as a gift through faith in Jesus Christ, a gift God is eager to give to anyone who desires it.


Lord, what joy You give to those who are in Your Light. Even on dull and dreary days or even in the midst of trials and struggles, You shine in my heart and give me glimpses of Your glory. That is all I need to remain joyful, no matter what might be going on in my world. Thank You. Thank You also for the rain and the promise that green grass, tulips, leaf buds and other new growth will soon follow.

No comments: