April 8, 2012

He is Risen!

He is risen indeed!

If asked, how would I explain my reasons for knowing that Jesus is alive? The most obvious is that the Word of God says that He is. Another reason is that everything that He said would happen to those who believe has happened to me. The Holy Spirit convicts of sin and when I confess it, that sense of guilt and the burden is lifted. He gives me His peace, which lifts me above circumstances. I have that inner assurance of eternal life that He promised. 

But there is another reason. I see Jesus in others who believe. I saw Him in my grandmother, who never said an unkind word about anyone. I saw Him in my mother, who adapted to the changes in her life with humor and grace. I’ve seen Him in countless others, not perfectly for who is perfect, but glimpses of Him that cannot be mimicked or faked.
Then he said to Zebah and Zalmunna, “Where are the men whom you killed at Tabor?” They answered, “As you are, so were they. Every one of them resembled the son of a king.” (Judges 8:18)
Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished. And they recognized that they had been with Jesus. (Acts 4:13)
As today’s devotional reading says, if the King is our Father, others will recognize a royal likeness.


Today we acknowledge and celebrate the risen Christ. You are life and the Giver of life. However imperfect we are, we have Your seal stamped on us, signifying that we are Your children. Through our imperfections and mistakes, the marks of likeness come through, not because of what we are or do, but because You live in our hearts and we are family.

No comments: