January 6, 2012

Be Still and Experience God’s Power

Panic makes us do odd things. The child with us on this vacation tends to chatter more and even laugh more when she is nervous. Others become afraid and retreat into silence or become very busy doing nothing of importance. I tend to hold my breath, which is really foolish when my body desperately needs oxygen.

In today’s devotional reading, the Israelites are piled in a heap against the sea, deep water before them and the Egyptian army at their heels. God promised Moses that He would deliver them, but they were in a panic. He tried to reassure them.
And Moses said to the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.” The Lord said to Moses, “Why do you cry to me? Tell the people of Israel to go forward . . .” (Exodus 14:13–15)
God often puts His people into situations where there seems no solution. In this one, Moses told them He would save them and all they had to do was be silent, but even Moses had a tough time with that. God asked him why he was crying out to Him instead of leading the people forward as he was supposed to do.

I’m on vacation, not in a tough situation. However, I can remember a few and have to laugh at myself. I’ve done the same thing. God promises to take care of me and it is as if I forget who God is, and forget that this is the One who created the universe by speaking. He can do whatever He wants to do. Nothing is too hard for God. He is called “Almighty” for good reason.

Yet when trouble comes and I panic, I start spinning out all over the place, and am anything but silent. I’m not sure why it takes so long to get the mind renewed so it thinks of God first, instead of letting panic take over in difficult situations. The more I read His Word and the more I experience His care, the less I am to panic. But in all of that, God has not changed. He is still working for me, taking care of me, and giving me no reason at all to doubt Him. Again, this is about walking by faith, not living my life based on what I can see, but living in confident trust that is based on the promises of the invisible yet totally trustworthy and dependable God. I am learning that He is always able to fight for me.


Lord, I thank You for Your promises and Your great power. Most of all, I am thankful that nothing is too hard for You so that when fearful things happen, You are able to come beside me and take care of me, patiently enduring any flapping about and whining that I might do before I choose to remember that You are my Rock and my Salvation.

No comments: